Excellent LCD Displays?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Flynnstone, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Flynnstone macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

What are excellent LCD displays?
    To put in perspective, I have an Apple 20" Cinema display on my Mac and a Viewsonic VG700(17") (& a Sony CRT) on my PC.
    Basically the Viewsonic is better than the crt, but is nowhere as good as the cinema display.
    The Cinema display looks great from just about any angle. The Viewsonic looks good straight on, but side to side or up and down it loses contrast.

So what displays compare with the Apple cinemas?
    What is the display technology? manufacturers?
    I will be needing another display for another computer, and would like to buy something like the Cinema display in a 17" size.

2. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

I like the displays by Samsung. I have the 191t. It's great!

3. Flynnstone thread starter macrumors 65816

Flynnstone

Does it have wide angle viewing? What is the display technology?

4. cluthz macrumors 68040

cluthz

Most manufacturers has lcds displays with good viewin angles.
    The cinemas have 170°/170° i think, i have ordered a viewsonic a few days ago and the 17" VX715 has 170/170 v.a, but i' went for the VP171 (160/160 v.a) because it has faster responstime (16ms vs 25ms).

5. the future macrumors 6502a

The Samsung 173p is the only 17" lcd display I know that doesn't look like trash compared to the new Apple displays (I'm talking about industrial design and used materials here). It has the widest viewing angles on the market (178-178) as well as great contrast (700:1 now, 1000:1 very soon). Not cheap, but definitely worth it. Just like the Apple displays.

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7. JBReed macrumors newbie

Samsung 173p

Any issues with not being able to adjust brightness and contrast with this monitor on the Mac? I know it's gotten good reviews and looks great but I'm concerned about it's MagicTune (Windows only) software.

8. Flyinace2000 macrumors 6502a

Flyinace2000

I also have the 191T and have used it on my old powerbook as well as my PC (dual inputs for VGA and DVI). The new version, the 191T+ supposevly has even more viewing angle. The monitor also swivels for portrait or landscape. These monitor cost just about 600 bucks. I also use Apple Displays at school (17 to 23 inches) and the Sammy is on par if not equal to them and cost hundreds less. I bought the 191t about a year ago and it replaced a veiwsonic 19" CRT. No ghosting on games. As you can tell i have nothing but good things to say.

9. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I just started using a Samsung 213T as a main screen for my 12" PB (only just bought an external keyboard)...all I can say is: shweeet. 21" 1600x1200 and a great picture for little over $1000. It is not an Apple, but the silver finish and straight lines match my PB rather well. I love it !
    (never mind that PC speaker in the corner... and yes, the keyboard was as cheap as it looks, $13 including shipping :eek: )

Attached Files: