Excessive Downloading Bad for Harddrive?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Peter Griffin, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Peter Griffin macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    I was wondering if it was detrimental to the hard drive to download files for large periods of time. I hear the HD making all sorts clicky noises when I do. Thanks in advance
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    A hard drive is mechanical, there for the more wear it gets the more likely it is to fail. So yes, downloading 24/7 will take it's toll eventually, but the same goes for anything else you might do that would put load (read/write) on to the drive, say video encoding etc.

If your drive is already making strange noises, start making regular backups now. It's probably on it's way out....but that could be next week, or next year.
  3. giffut macrumors 6502

Apr 28, 2003
    There ...

... is a saying that masturbating causes brain cancer. Same goes for your harddrive while doing excessive downloading, ;-)
  4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

Jul 28, 2003
    Citizens Bank Park
    I wish I could speak hard drive. Then I could say things like: "Click, Click, Bloody Click, Pancakes!!"

You really should put your computer to sleep once and a while. And make sure you set your preferences to put the hard disks to sleep when possible.
  5. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Oct 16, 2004
    Peoria/Chicago, IL
    Haha.. love the Family Guy reference.

As for the HD I would just recommend putting it to sleep when you're not using it as others have said.
  6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

Aug 23, 2004

i second that. like everything mechanical there are moving parts and those parts wear out after time. unfortunately you can not predict when. i've had hard disks that lived for many years but others failed after three or four months of use. and i stress again if your hard disk makes already strange noises make backups on a regular basis.
  7. NATO macrumors 68000

Feb 14, 2005
    Northern Ireland
    Advice from Western Digital's Knowledgebase

I found this a few days ago when I was researching hard drives. It answered a few concerns I had about leaving my computer on 24/7 and whether to set the 'Put Hard Drives to Sleep' option in the Energy preferences pane

Therefore, I could either leave my drive on 24/7 with no real worries, or I could switch my PC off at night and on again in the morning, again with no real worries. I would be concerned about selecting the 'Put Hard Drives to sleep whenever possible' option in Preferences as that would result in the drive being turned off and on frequently throughout the day, and that adds up over the years.
  8. Peter Griffin thread starter macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2005
    Interesting...good find NATO. And all this time I thought that was seems to be the popular consensus of 'put hd to sleep when possible' option was the best.

Can anyone give an estimate as to the average lifespan of todays Apple HDs given 6-7 hrs of usage per day?
  9. XNine macrumors 68040

Apr 7, 2005
    Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    It just depends on the HD. An actual click and then a noise as if it's shutting down is BAD. However, some people have been able to put the HD in a freezer for a long period of time, long enough to get the heads bent back into position and then get data off. The shut down noise basically means the drive's electrical componants are fried. Might try getting the actual HD onto another baord and trying it again...