Exchange iPhone 5 to unlocked?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by marcelo4527, Nov 29, 2012.

1. macrumors member

About a week ago I got a verizon iPhone 5 from best buy, I paid full price for it because I'm not a verizon customer. I bought it because people told me it was unlocked but I still didn't had the chance to test with a different sim card!
    So I saw the MacRumors posted that the official factory unlocked version of the iphone will be out soon and I'm wondering if I would be able, when it releases, to exchange my verizon full price iphone, to the unlocked one! They would be both the same price.

I know the verizon is already unlocked but I would be more comfortable getting that one! And btw, I never really used mine, never took the protectors off and even the accessories are still sealed, so it's pretty much brand new and unused still

2. macrumors 68000

You have 30 days to return phone. After that, Apple will likely tell you that the unlocked version, and the Verizon version are one in the same.

3. thread starter macrumors member

Can I just exchange the verizon iphone for the unlocked one when it releases though?

4. macrumors 68000

It depends which unlocked version do you want. With the unlocked AT&T iPhone 5 you can access LTE in the US and Canada and 3G in all other countries.

With the Verizon unlocked iPhone 5 LTE is only with Verizon and other carriers 3G.

5. thread starter macrumors member

I'm currently in the US but I'm going to Brazil and none of the carriers there supports LTE so I'm not really worried about that, as long as I have 3G. I do know the verizon iPhone 5 comes unlocked and I got mine from best buy, it came with a verizon sim and it activated just fine but I heard some people saying that they had problems activating with a different carrier so I'm kinda worried.. But still like 99% of people sy it does works perfect as an unlocked phone. But if possible I would exchange for the official factory unlocked when it releases.

6. macrumors 6502a

Prime85

Just so you know both the AT&T and the Verizon phones are unlocked. Apple has been selling both of them unlocked since day one they just didn't advertise it. It really depends on what frequencies you will be using for LTE. I believe that the 3G will be the same for both. Someone correct me if I am wrong.

7. macrumors 68000

Generally not after 30 days, unless it is defective. Then you will get a refurb.

8. macrumors 68000

They are testing LTE in Sao Paulo. The Apple official unlocked iPhone is the GSM US version. So you can use LTE in the US and Canada and possibly in Sao Paulo depending which GSM version they are testing in Brazil.

By the way, I'm also headed to Brazil in 3 weeks. I'm taking a few unlocked iPhone 5s with me to sell while I"m there.

9. thread starter macrumors member

[​IMG]

As you can see on that image, the Verizon iPhone support much more LTE bands than AT&T, hopefully they will support one or the many Verizon iPhone supports!

But whether they implement LTE in Brazil soon or not, I don't really mind that, as long as I have at least 3G I'm more than happy

10. macrumors 6502

Your fine. Your Verizon iPhone 5 was unlocked from day one. So your able to use LTE here in the U.S. and when you go to Brazil just buy a prepaid nanoSIM card install it in your Verizon iPhone 5 and your set. The only thing is. You will be using 3G instead of LTE.

11. macrumors 68040

Jordan921

It's already unlocked so you have nothing to worry about. But if you are still doubting it return your phone and buy the unlocked one.

12. macrumors 68000

I travel abroad to Brazil, the Caribbean and to Canada. The AT&T unlocked version is better for me since I can use LTE in at least 2 places I am in or traveling to.

13. macrumors newbie

this question interests me, because it is a chance to clear up what an unlocked iPhone is good for

for example, and unlocked USA Verizon iPhone, is NOT compatible with Tmobile USA, nor ATT USA, if I understand the GSM and CDMA difference. Please correct me if mistaken.

Similarly, and unlocked ATT USA iPhone will not work on Verizon, nor Sprint, afaik, again, please correct me if mistaken.

So, to the OP, if you plan to go to Brazil, I think you need to figure out if you need a CDMA or a GSM phone.

Maybe someone can explain the difference in CDMA and GSM iPhone compatibility.

Some differences I think I know, is that the ATT iPhone, which is GSM, uses SIM cards, and you can simultaneously talk on the phone and use data.

otoh, the Verizon iPhone does not use a SIM card, or does it? And the Verizon iPhone will not multitask voice and data.

To the OP, I suggest you return your Verizon phone for refund, and buy an ATT phone instead.

Also, IF you buy an ATT iPhone, under contract in the USA (no need to pay full price), you can easily unlock it, for a very small price.. see
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Unlock-Code...836?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ec370795c

14. macrumors regular

They will and can work with each other. I had a T-mob sim inside a Verizon iPhone.

However, the Verizon iPhone would have more advantage on AT&T's network, vs using a AT&T i5 on Verizon's network since that phone does not have CDMA.

No LTE on either devices since the bands are different

15. macrumors Nehalem

Applejuiced

Actually you cant use an AT&T iphone 5 on verizon and you cant use a factory unlocked US iphone 5 on verizon either.
    The only i5 you can use with Verizon is the one locked/sold for verizon only.

16. thread starter macrumors member

Since the iPhone 4S, Verizon comes with a GSM port just like AT&T, and on iPhone 5 it is unlocked on Verizon! I just put an inactivated AT&T sim in my Verizon iPhone 5 and it showed no signal because it was inactive, but when I go to settings-about, right next to carrier it shows AT&T 13.0

17. macrumors regular

I bought an Verizon iPhone 5 device only at apple store, it doesn't work after I insert tmobile sim. It shows 'no sim'.

Anyone has idea what I can do?why everybody here says it's unlocked?

18. thread starter macrumors member

It is unlocked! Maybe you have a bad sim or something. Did you have to cut your sim? If so maybe you cut wrong so it doesn't recognize it, try with a different sim and let us know!

19. macrumors Core

alphaod

The Verizon iPhone 5 is the same as the unlocked international version (not to be confused with the device-only unlocked AT&T iPhone 5). I see no reason to return it.

20. macrumors regular

I cut my SIM card and called tmobile, apple. They both said my iPhone 5 is locked to Verizon. Maybe I need to active with Verizon first, them it will unlocked?

----------

Do you mean it can't work with us t-mobile even I paid full price?

21. thread starter macrumors member

They say it's locked to verizon, but call verizon and ask, they will say it is unlocked!
    Verizon said officially that it is unlocked

----------

You probably screwed up when you cut you SIM card, because if your phone is UNLOCKED, it will either say the name of the carrier, or no service. If your phone is LOCKED it will say INVALID SIM.
    So since it said No Sim i'm assuming the sim card is the problem?
    Anywawys

22. macrumors 68000

Are you absolutely sure you got the Verizon model? The Sprint model and Verizon model are both model A1429. The Verizon phone is unlocked, the Sprint is not.

23. thread starter macrumors member

I agree! I know someone in this forum that asked for the verizon model and the seller gave the sprint one by mistake!

Does your iPhone comes with a verizon SIM? If not the it's pry sprint

You can also go to Settings-General-About and then look for the item "Carrier" and see if it says verizon

24. macrumors regular

Yes. It has a Verizon nano card inside.

25. macrumors 68000

Ok, then you likely damaged your t mobile sim while cutting it. T mobile does have nano sim cards.