Excite Truck or Motorstorm ? or both ?

Discussion in 'Games' started by MRU, Feb 14, 2007.

1. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So ExciteTruck is out on Friday in Europe, and I'm debating whether to get it or not. With Motorstorm only 2 weeks away I'm not sure it will be worth getting.

Both obviously being similar games.

It seems Excite Truck has received fairly average scores all round, so I ask you that have it. Would you willingly pay €50 $65 for it again ? Or would you advise just to get Motorstorm ?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Over all I'm not a big fan of racing games(unless its some Mario Kart)

I'd go MotorStorm, as I'm not huge fan of Excite Trucks...and Motor Storm has online which is good, and most likely the reason I'd buy it

3. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Excite Truck and F1 :)

Very positive PS3/F1 tech talk

4. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah that's what i'm thinking. Like you i'm not the hugest fan of racing games (especially simulator ones) - but I do like some of the arcadey ones. In many ways - Motorstorm demo reminds me of games like WaveRace and 1080 in the way the levels are structured. It feels very 'dear I say' arcade nintendoesque.

F1 was a great demo. Haven't played an F1 game in years (simply because like EA games they seemingly are the same thing regurgitated every year) but found this one to be enjoyable.

But the problem with F1 games is that a hell of a lot of the courses are VERY similar, bar a few exceptions (Monaco etc.) and that I then get very bored halfway through a season.

5. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

The online play is rated high too. 22 online players on a track. I'm looking foward to online seasons once i get my technique down :D

Ed

6. Coded-Dude macrumors 6502a

Coded-Dude

Motorstorm FTW!

If you want a simulator go F1, but if you want "fun" racing go ET or MS.
    The only REAL difference between the two is graphics(of course) and online play/content.
    I like good graphics in a racing game, but also prefer to use normal controls sometimes(instead of tilt/motion only).
    Thats why I didn't pick up ET when I had my Wii.

7. Oneness macrumors regular

ExciteTruck is fun, but not at $65. I got it at launch and enjoy it but if I would have had choices I would have gone another direction.
    Online play is a big plus for Motorstorm.

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Excite Truck is $49.99, you're about $10 over retail there..

Ed

9. darkwing macrumors 65816

It may not go off-road, but my turbocharged GTO offers more fun and excitement than any of these games. And since the turbo is now the muffler, it would make Bub Rub proud.

(it's all about the whoo-woo you know)

10. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

no its €50 here. Thats $65. Hence I was saying if you had to pay $65 for it would you ?

Motorstorm I'd get USA version which will cost me €50 too. So they are the same price.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Excite Truck is very fun, but multiplayer sucks so badly that the game probably would have gotten better scores without it (no AI opponents, just you and one other person, takes out the fun).

But I think Excite Truck is the most underrated game of the Wii launch. It's really, really fun.

I actually made a video review, although the YouTube upload is of poor quality.
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=Rny3xbuoMpo

Here's my text review:
    http://www.nintendoplayers.com/wii/gamereview.php?gameID=2416

Really fun, but arcadey. If you like arcade racers, grab it. I have a lot of casual gamer friends who love it.

I've played the Motorstorm demo; I liked Excite Truck better for gameplay, but Motorstorm'll have better multiplayer (it's online). I don't know which has the longer single player.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Excite truck is fun....for a minute then it gets old. I would go with motorstorm..I'm not a big fan of racing games but it looks very interesting.

Bless

13. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Excite Truck is one of the best launch titles for the Wii IMO but I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it since it is kind of shallow. I don't have a PS3 but didn't like the Motostorm Demo so I can't really comment on that one...

14. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I was playing some Excite Truck today, and its better then I remembered.

15. pcypert macrumors 6502

Get MS now and then wait till the summer or later for ET. It'll be everywhere used once more has come out...like excite bike on the NES

Paul

16. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Everyone downs Excite Truck solely for its terrible multiplayer. But that doesn't matter, because the single player mode is solid and challenging. Plenty to unlock, and it feels so fast. This game is awesome, the boosting and air are the craziest and most satisfying of any racing game I've played (I own mostly racing games on my consoles). This is the closest we'll get to an F-Zero on the Wii for a while, and it's a great fill-in.

Buy an SD card (if you don't already have one), load up 100 of your favorite driving/racing songs (or any favorites) and listen to that as you drive. Makes the game like twice as good.

I highly, highly recommend this game.
    (just beat it, all trucks, including Crazy Monster Truck)

17. ericsthename macrumors regular

While I don't disagree that this probably does make the game twice as good, don't you just kinda wish you could stream your iTunes library? or even plug in your iPod?

18. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

that's not the question at hand.
    Sure, I'd love it. But so what? This works fine.

19. bmb012 macrumors 6502

Personally, I got (and still am to an extent) mad hooked on Excite Truck, it's the type of game where you play the same level over and over trying to get that perfect run down so you can rock the high score, and I love that type of game.

Motostorm, well, I only played the demo, but got rather bored rather quickly...

20. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

21. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Yes, I would pay €50 for Excite Truck if I had to. It's one of the best racing games I've ever played, even with the disappointing multiplayer options. It's up there with Mario Kart and Burnout. :)

Mortorstorm looks fun too, one of the few... or maybe the only PS3 game so far that I would get if I had one. I just hope it's as improved as it looks (in the online videos) over the demo that they put on PS3 units in stores, because that wasn't very good. Laggy graphics and looooooooooooong loading times. I think the former has been addressed, but every console Sony has made so far seems to have awful loading times compared to the competition and the PS3 is the worst of them all. :( Also Motorstorm doesn't even have a split screen option, which is stupid if you ask me, but the online probably makes up for it somewhat.

22. pcypert macrumors 6502

I can't believe you can't plug in a ipod to the system or stream. That kind of sucks. Wouldn't be able to play Burnout on the 360 without that...

Paul

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I can't compare the 2, since the PS3 my cousin was going to keep didn't turn on.
    GAME has some demo thing going on. I enjoyed that, way more than I thought I would. It looked great to me originally, then the negative comments turned me away. Since I've now had a go I wouldn't hesitate to buy this. £30? No problem. I did buy F-Zero GX for £39 :eek: , but that was sooo worth it.

F-Zero WX I would buy in a heartbeat and probably only get a Mario Kart game to compliment it in the same gen.

24. MRU thread starter macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah another F-Zero game HAS to be in the pipeline. Sega really got it right with F-Zero GX

The thing I really want is a proper PilotWings sequel for Wii too. I mean what happened to that franchise ?

25. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Wing Island is confirmed for the US right now, it was a launch title in Japan. http://wii.ign.com/articles/760/760915p1.html Gamestop shows a 3/27/2007 release date for this, but you can't reserve it in store so im not sure of the validity of the date. http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=230075

Gamestop has a 12/31/07 date for a Pilotswings Wii title, though until i see brick and mortar stores taking pre-orders i would be skeptical of the date.

http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?product_id=T000529

I never cared for the F-Zero franchise

Ed