exciting mwny rumor

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by gralem, Jul 3, 2002.

1. gralem macrumors member

This is what I've heard from very reliable sources:

No dual 1.5GHz G4's (motorola can't supply anything)

No 17" LCD iMac (15" iCub^H^H^HMacs gather dust...let's release a more expensive 17" model! Uh-uh)

Sorry, but that's the latest.

---gralem

2. gralem thread starter macrumors member

also...

there will be an announcement about the date for 10.2 >> 17 Aug! Some good will come of MWNY!

---g

3. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

hmmmm

Oh well, if we all expect this keynote ONLY to include Software demos, we won´t be disappointed, will we?

But what would an Expo be without ANY new Hardware?? :confused:

4. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: hmmmm

There WILL be new hardware. Just not at dual 1.5Ghz as the top o' the line....and that's according to this guys source, which we dont actually know who it is....take it with a grain of salt.

There will be a new PowerMac released and most likely an updated iMac. The release date of 10.2 is highly likely as the latest build is very speedy and has far fewer bugs then previous ones (I've seen it run on my friend's pismo).

So, anyway, new hardware is arounmd the corner and new exciting software to run on it will be right behind, don't worry, there should be lots of goodies for us in two weeks.

Keep your pants on. ;)

5. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

my prediction...

1GHz G4 2MB L3 Cache - PC133RAM = $1599

Dual 1133MHz 2MB Each Processor - DDR333 Firewire2 Bluetooth = $2299

Dual 1266MHz 4MB Each L3 FSB=200MHz - DDR333 Firewire2 Bluetooth = $2999

6. drastik macrumors 6502a

drastik

Re: Re: hmmmm

Do I have too?:D

Just wondering, how fast did Jagwire run on the Pismo? I've got a Pismo 400 and I'd like to think I'm getting a little bank for my buck. DO you think Jaguar will save my aging baby, or should I put in the Nutech upgrade?

7. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Re: Re: hmmmm

:rolleyes: Hmmm, in another thread around here someone wrote that 10.2 is far from perfect in the current Build - some programs/features would have been cut out again and so on.

So, is it likely now or what? :( :D

And, yes, I´ll keep my pants tight till the livestream! ;)
    BTW is there any confirmation on live QT Broadcasting?

AND BTW: Keep your eyes on apple.com for even more announcements in the last 7 days :D :D WAY BEYOND :p :eek:
    ..and yes, i like smilies...

8. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the reports will never be completely accurate as to how far the OS has to come along, because the code is overloaded with debugging symbols in order to help pinpoint problems. once there is a compiled kernel that has these turned off, and all features turned on will we see the true progress of jaguar. of course that wont happen until its released ;)

9. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

what if new powermacs will be 1ghz's with ddr ram?if so,they should delay or cancel mwny cause poor steve wont get out of there alive..
    and he is not the person to blame..

10. firewire2001 macrumors 6502a

Re: exciting mwny rumor

are these just predictions? or what are they??

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Re: Re: exciting mwny rumor

They're from "reliable sources".....

12. gralem thread starter macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: exciting mwny rumor

asurance, thank's...at least SOMEBODY here understands the difference between rumor and actual apple news! They are the same thing! :)

---gralem

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Re: Re: Re: hmmmm

The build I saw was a month ago....it was snappy. Everything opened within 2 bounces. This is on the 400mhz pismo. there were lots of small problems and iChat sucked a big one....but it was significatnly faster then 10.1.4....A LOT faster.

The new build I havent seen....we're in different states, but he told me its faster then what I saw and that a lot of the bugs were fixed...not all, but a lot...the mojor ones

14. job macrumors 68040

job

Sounds about right, although I am praying that the baseline also include DDR RAM. Please....?

hitman

15. billiam0878 macrumors 6502

Can you give us anything else to go on gralem?

(a cry from a desperate mac user :))

Bill

16. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

When was the last time we saw two dual processor systems from Apple (and I am not talking about the 'fastest' and then 'ultimate' from the online store)??? Answer: never.

I'd say that you can forget about bluetooth integrated into any Mac systems. You are more likely to have PCMCIA and PCI cards with it then you are to have it integrated.

High end DDR, hopefully, at least 266MHz (PC2100).

FireWire 2? As long as they still have FireWire 1 ports, or ship the computers with adapter cables as well.

BTW, I don't see the FSB at 200MHz (that is for systems running PC1600/DDR200 memory). More likely would be either 333MHz or 167MHz.

Since Apple [typically] uses the same motherboard in all the towers, I can't see them using two different memory types. Either ALL PC133 or ALL PC2100/2700.

17. PrdstMnky19 macrumors newbie

933MHZ - $1599
    1.13GHz - $2299
    1.33GHz - $2999

i would like to see the PowerMac G4 SE

Dual 1.5GHz - $3999

everyones hopes are up - this MW will blow, unless some iapps get some impressive features and steve offers jag at a discounted rate if you bought a mac in the last year.

18. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

i also say its time for another product in the iPod vein. i.e. not a macintosh, some type of digital lifestyle device.

19. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I agree. Apple wouldn't split the motherboard architecture within one PowerMac G4 series. This would not be cost-effective for bulk manufacture unless what's being suggested is that the low-end machine retains today's motherboard.

That would force me to buy a mid-range tower when all I want this July is the entry-level powermac.
    :(

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

That would also mean, no FireWire 2 on the new low end systems... I can't see Apple doing that, since they have never kept an old motherboard design when they changed the tower board. When they went from the Yikes to the Sawtooth, they made all the new G4's with the Sawtooth and retired the Yikes board. Besides, doing the low end with one board and the other systems with the new board would piss off too many people. Those that cannot afford the mid or high end systems would be forced to either get the old technology, or to not get anything at all. Or worse still, they would be pushed to a peecee *shudder*. Not everyone wants an iMac or eMac... I know many people that like large displays, have ones with plenty of life in them, and just want another tower. Either that, or they have displays with dual inputs, so that two systems can be attached at one time (like with my ViewSonic VG175 LCD :D).

21. job macrumors 68040

job

I sure hope the baseline tower has DDR-RAM.

I believe Apple has split the tower motherboard architecture in the past (please correct me if I am wrong.) If you recall, in the first line of G4 towers (350, 400, 450) the baseline tower was based off the old G3 motherboard. Or am I completely insane? :D

22. King Cobra macrumors 603

>If you recall, in the first line of G4 towers (350, 400, 450) the baseline tower was based off the old G3 motherboard. Or am I completely insane? :D
    I think you are correct. But, you've got to admit, Apple made the first affordable gigaflop computer before the new millennium! :D

Here are my honest predictions:
    WARNING: This data is not official data, but rather a prediction. Do not assume that the data below are actual facts.
    (1) All powermacs will have DDR-RAM running PC2100.
    (2) Specs for PowerMac G4 DDR-RAM:
    (2a) PowerMac G4 low range: 1000MHz, 60GB, 256MB RAM, CD-RW. $1794.
    (2b) PowerMac G4 mid range: 1200MHz, 80GB, 256MB RAM, Superdrive. $2494.
    (2c) PowerMac G4 top of the line: Dual 1400MHz, 100GB, 512MB RAM, Superdrive. $3494.
    (3) Specs for iMac updates with 15 inch LCD:
    (3a) iMac G4 low range: 800MHz G4, 40GB, 256MB RAM, CD-RW. $1394.
    (3b) iMac G4 mid range: 900MHz G4, 60GB, 256MB RAM, DVD/CD-RW (Postal). $1594.
    (3c) iMac G4 top of the line: 1000MHz G4, 80GB, 512MB, Superdrive. $1894.

23. Grokgod macrumors 6502a

Grokgod

ok ok ok math is NOT my subject~

Lets say that the new specs will be as King Cobra says.

What would be the sweet spot of these units?

I once spoke to a tech that was very good at math and I will try to translate what he told me as my artists mind understood> >:p

It has to do with multipliers and the manner in which the mulitplier on the CPU matches up with the multiplier on the bus, when these two numbers are in a ratio that is equal or can be divided by a similar number or some freaky evil math thing like that, the computer runs faster or better.

Whew that taxed my poor mind~

Can anyone decipher what I wish I could refer to?

24. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

We all know that you are completely insane, but is that really a bad thing??? I never claimed to be sane... ;) :D :cool:

The first set of G4 systems (all speeds released) were with a hybrid motherboard (a cross-gap measure until they could get the first true G4 motherboard out) code named "Yikes". The second set of G4 systems to come out used the first true G4 motherboard, code named "Sawtooth". All the systems used the motherboard, there were not Yikes and Sawtooth in production at the same time.

Yikes used a PCI video card slot, and in speeds of 350 and 400MHz. Sawtooth used the first AGP video card slot and came in 350, 400, 450 and 500MHz models. Eventually the Sawtooth also had dual processor versions, before they went to the next motherboard revision (Gigabit ethernet) code named "Mystic" with 400MHz (single processor), 450MHz and 500MHz (dual processors). Those were the last with the 100MHz system bus, which also used PC100 memory. After that, they went to the 133MHz bus, and used PC133 memory (PC100 is not recognized in them).

Mactracker is a good source of information about different Apple systems. That is, if you cannot get access to the info from Apple itself.

25. job macrumors 68040

job