Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
That is quite interesting...

I record alot of internet radio at lower quality because I just don't have the harddrive sace to record at full quality. When I record with WTS is the file size going to be similar of a full quality recording (if I want the luxury of being able to go back and make it higher quality 3 months later)?

Nope, if you *really* want to record at low quality, you can... we provide the option, but recommend against it in most cases (yours would be an exception, of course). Hard drives are cheap. :)

jimthorn

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Huntington Beach, CA, USA
I've been an Audio Hijack Pro user for years now, but editing is a must and I find their Fission to be somewhat lacking. This app looks like it might be a "complete solution" and the Live Preview is definitely the icing on the cake. A couple of questions though:

Storing all that uncompressed audio must eat up HD space, right? I record a lot of audio -- not songs, but more like hour-long radio shows and such.

Does this app require any hacks (or "haxies") to the OS? Audio Hijack Pro can function without haxies (APE) as long as you let it launch the app for you. With APE installed it can hijack the audio from any already running app. I hate hacks to the OS that might break something (either the OS or the audio app), so I use Audio Hijack Pro without APE.

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
Storing all that uncompressed audio must eat up HD space, right? I record a lot of audio -- not songs, but more like hour-long radio shows and such.

It's actually not uncompressed, but it is losslessly compressed, so it doesn't use up as much hard drive space as you might think... and hard drive space is only getting cheaper and bigger. For things like radio shows (which you'd generally record via a scheduled session), you can just turn it off if you like.

Does this app require any hacks (or "haxies") to the OS? Audio Hijack Pro can function without haxies (APE) as long as you let it launch the app for you. With APE installed it can hijack the audio from any already running app. I hate hacks to the OS that might break something (either the OS or the audio app), so I use Audio Hijack Pro without APE.

No, it does not use APE or any Haxies to operate, and you can record applications that are already running without needing to launch them from application as you need to with AHP (unless you install the APE variant of it).

gloop

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2007
very impressive

Wow... when i first clicked i was hesitant and figured it'd be some ultra-professional software i'd never have a use for... but you weren't kidding at the LivePreview feature... that's one of the best things i've ever seen... you've sold me for sure... great job

YuckAndMuck

macrumors newbie
Sep 14, 2007
How will WT Studio handle timers? Are they tied to iCal (I thought they were for WTP, but not sure)? I've used AHP and the timers are built-in, which is handy for my usage - I don't want to clutter iCal with recording-related stuff.

Also, AHP can record audio from multiple apps simultaneously while keeping the recordings distinct (i.e. no merging of audio). This is key for me, as I have timers kicking off recordings from different audio apps that occur at the same time. This review seemed to indicate that WTP had problems keeping audio from different apps separate in recordings. Is this still the case (heck, was it ever the case?)? If so, will WT Studio address this?

Thanks for the info!

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
How will WT Studio handle timers? Are they tied to iCal (I thought they were for WTP, but not sure)? I've used AHP and the timers are built-in, which is handy for my usage - I don't want to clutter iCal with recording-related stuff.

WireTap Studio doesn't depend on iCal (as WireTap Pro did), but it does allow you to export the scheduled recordings to iCal if you desire.

Also, AHP can record audio from multiple apps simultaneously while keeping the recordings distinct (i.e. no merging of audio). This is key for me, as I have timers kicking off recordings from different audio apps that occur at the same time. This review seemed to indicate that WTP had problems keeping audio from different apps separate in recordings.

WireTap Studio can do exactly what you want, it can record from multiple applications simultaneously, whilst keeping the audio streams separate.

Audio HiJack Pro owns!!

I think after you try WireTap Studio, you will be pleasantly surprised. :)

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Well, as a quick example, you can't do anything like this with AHP/Fission. :)

Notice what's going on... we're previewing audio from iTunes (this is our LivePreview technology we've filed patents on), hearing what it sounds like compressed before it's ever recorded, then changing the compression on the fly (we could even change the compressor, from AAC to mp3 if we wanted to), adding a few effects on the fly, and then recording it at a very low quality.

Then we decide "Crap, those effects sound bad, and we really need it to sound better than the quality we recorded it at." So in the editor, we just turn off the effects we recorded with, and then boost up the quality. And there it is.

Granted, we changed this immediately after recording it, but you could come back 3 months later and do the same thing. Never have to re-record audio again!

Some other things you can do in WireTap Studio (that you cannot do with the Audio Hijack/Fission combo) that might interest you: crop losslessly -- normalize in realtime -- play with the format/compressor on the fly -- losslessly delete audio -- losslessly silence audio -- and of course the LivePreview feature is pretty cool.

And yes, there's more... just a taste. :)
Absolutely fantastic piece of software. I love the use of Core Audio. All this really is is non destructive editing (read Logic, etc) for the consumer. Beautifully done. I love the live preview feature. I really think you just upped the ante for even the more expensive audio apps.

Lara F

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2005
Montreal, Quebec
WTP has long been one of my fave and indispensable Mac programs - I must have made hundreds of recordings off MySpace (for unreleased songs) and radio broadcasts over the last two years. Now that the new studio version can record multiple streams simultaneously, I'll likely stick with it exclusively. And the LivePreview feature looks awesome, worth the upgrade $ by itself. Looking forward to the release! :)

Someone mentioned earlier wanting to capture video - is there *any* real Mac substitute to WMRecorder? SnapzPro's not what I'm looking for, what I want is a program that'll instantly recognize that a streaming video is playing online and start to download/capture it. It's seriously almost the only thing I use Windows for...

christophertin

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2004
I'm probably be buying this when it becomes available. I downloaded WireTap Pro to test, and used it to record audio from a recording session yesterday, and it was great. However, my one beef with it is it doesn't seem to support third party audio hardware, like the MOTU 2408mk3. Hopefully this version will--if so, sign me up.

AJsAWiz

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2007
Ohio
Not in an unbiased manner, I can't. Best bet would be for you to have a look at some of the videos that I've posted, or give WireTap Studio a try out when it's released.

That said, my personal opinion is that SoundStudio is very much a new version of programs like SoundEdit16 (which came out many years ago). Which is not necessarily a bad thing... It's an okay editor, but doesn't really bring anything new or interesting to the table beyond what SoundEdit did a decade ago or so.

It doesn't offer any of the lossless recording/editing features that WireTap Studio offers, but WireTap Studio is not intended to be a dedicated audio editor either, so it can do some things that WTS cannot.

Will there be an upgrade offer for Wire Tap Pro owners? ;)

mistersquid

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2003
Athens, OH
Nice show

Well, as a quick example, you can't do anything like this with AHP/Fission. :)

[...........]

And yes, there's more... just a taste. :)

The demo movies are fancy and have interested me in the WireTap Studio (even with my licenses to WireTap Pro and Audio Hijack Pro and Fission).

In one of your clips, you show previewing from a snippet of _Deliverance_. Is this a QT movie and are the effects piped through QT player or can WTS do QT clips?

As a comment, what you are demoing with the video snippet might give Ambrosia a sense of an entirely different market. Audio editing in FCP is doable but painful. If WTS existed as a FCP plug-in for the audio layer, Ambrosia might see an entirely new market open up.

Of course, such a plug-in would easily compete at, say, a $500 (US) price tag but that would mean folks like me would buy the standalone and import into FCP.

I know this may be premature, but what do you imagine pricing will be like, including upgrade/crossgrade pricing?

Given the apparent quality of WTS, I have renewed confidence in Ambrosia.

vanity

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
Sorry to be a bit negative as well. It would have made a better impression to announce this on your own website instead Mac Rumors. And not to readily go along with other people's comparasion to Audio Hijack. Also, both times I tried WireTap it either crashed within seconds (yesterday) or even took down the entire system (a year or so ago). So here goes:

I only see Ambrosia touting the new editing features. Great, so make an audio editor that blows Fission out the water. I don't like it anyway.
But ditch the recording part, which still relies on a kext and is therefore less user friendly than Audio Hijack.

Oh, and make the interface less grey/more standard (please don't tell me this is Leopard). It looks easy to use but real ugly. I think the last time I saw screws on screen was some DOS mod tracker...

vanity

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
It's actually not uncompressed, but it is losslessly compressed,

If this is ALAC, and can't you can't set it to AIFF, I'll have to stay clear of the application. The usual container for it relies on index tables that are written on closing the file, so the whole recording will become unusable if WireTap crashes before finishing. I've been bitten by this using Nicecast and won't take that risk again.

http://justool.blogspot.com/2007/01/contain-your-losses.html

moki

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2001
Sorry to be a bit negative as well. It would have made a better impression to announce this on your own website instead Mac Rumors. And not to readily go along with other people's comparasion to Audio Hijack. Also, both times I tried WireTap it either crashed within seconds (yesterday) or even took down the entire system (a year or so ago). So here goes:

Please send me your crash logs -- I'm very surprised to hear you say that you've had WireTap Pro crash on you, we haven't seen crash reports from users in a very long time.

I only see Ambrosia touting the new editing features. Great, so make an audio editor that blows Fission out the water. I don't like it anyway.
But ditch the recording part, which still relies on a kext and is therefore less user friendly than Audio Hijack.

User-friendliness is one of the reasons why people generally seem to like our products. I'm not sure how you think using Apple-documented and sanctioned APIs is less "user friendly" than sub-launching apps with hacked CoreAudio frameworks or patching applications with APE?

Oh, and make the interface less grey/more standard (please don't tell me this is Leopard). It looks easy to use but real ugly. I think the last time I saw screws on screen was some DOS mod tracker...

You mean like all of the other audio programs out there that use standard interfaces, right? :)

Seriously, try WireTap Studio when it is released. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

vanity

macrumors newbie
Sep 19, 2007
> Please send me your crash logs

Can't find one in CrashReporter/

>I'm not sure how you think using Apple-documented and sanctioned APIs is less "user friendly" than sub-launching apps with hacked CoreAudio frameworks or patching applications with APE?

The friendly part refers to installation and the fact that I see no reason to take into the kernel what can be done in user space. No idea how bad of a hack Audio Hijack is, though.

> You mean like all of the other audio programs out there that use standard interfaces, right? :)

I don't use that many. Just register a "no" vote, maybe everyone else will like it.

> Seriously, try WireTap Studio when it is released. I think you will be pleasantly surprised.

Can't wait.

Please adress my ALAC concern until then, it really ate an important recording.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.