Excuses not to switch from windows.

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Drewswa77, Mar 14, 2005.

1. Drewswa77 macrumors member

Check out this article! Oh so compelling. I think this guy actually comes out and says Windows is buggy and obsolete. Then goes on talking about reasons not to leave windows which are hilarious and somewhat insulting to the windows user I think. Check it out.

http://www.savemybutt.com/news/index.php

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Probably the biggest reason is inertia. Windows is "just good enough" for most people that by changing to OSX, would require more effort than just putting up with all the crap in Windows.

3. Drewswa77 thread starter macrumors member

inertia

Inertia, thats a good word for it.
    It causes people to lose control of their cars and their PCs

4. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

Well if your a hard core gamer that is a good excuse to keep windows. Its unfortunate but mac gaming is no where near on the par as windows gaming in terms of performance and titles.
    Some things we have to catch up with.

5. hcuar macrumors 65816

hcuar

Seems like an article about how great 3rd party browsers are for Windows. Doesn't seem to address the actual system switch. (as in switching to Linux or entirely to Apple)

6. Drewswa77 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the main point is about foing to firefox or opera but in the beginning he states the reasons not to leave windows in general. At least I think thats what he's talking about here...

...I know I am like most people. With that I mean we all get into habits and modes of behavior that we are accustomed to...habits that make us comfortable...something we are familiar with. It gives us a sense of control. We do not like to expect surprises. We know where to plant our next step so we do not stumble and fall. In a few words, we are creatures of habit. We hate changes because that means we have to re-learn everything all over again. Where am I going with this? Ahh yes...this being a computer forum you know that this short preface will somehow be related to computers. It is. To get to my point, the behavior I just described to you and the rationale for such behavior apply to how we use computer software.

Why do we keep using certain software long after they've been proven to be buggy or software that are obsolete? There are lots of reasons. In the case of Windows, switching to a different operating system does not make a lot of sense and here are just some of the reasons why we keep using Windows:
    1. you have to spend a lot of money to switch in terms of hardware and software
    2. the learning curve is too steep to tackle
    3. you know how to deal with the bugs & the solutions are free or cost very little and actually doable (you can live with them)
    4. the support you get from free resource such as this forum, and from friends and relatives who use the same software are extensive and free
    5. the availability of other supporting software (choice) are plenty
    6. your hardware can still use it
    7. it is familiar to you
    8. you are too busy to learn new software
    I'm sure there are lots of other reasons not included in my list....

7. Norouzi macrumors 6502

8. iGary Guest

iGary

People don't like change. Plain and simple.

They also don't want to invest the money in software if they already have Windows platform applications.

People think that Macs are incompatable with everything.

Three biggest hurdles to making a switcher.

9. dxm113 macrumors member

That's laughable . . . if I'm paying my hard earned money for a computer, I want the D@MN thing to work. I don't want to spend my time fixing it and "living" with bugs . . . Nor do I want to spend more time ensuring it's security than actually using it.

I can live without the latest games, I can live without the greatest hardware. . .I CAN'T live with a computer bogged down with viruses, spyware, etc.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

na we got better Solitare too

check out www.lavacat.com :p

11. Norouzi macrumors 6502

True, but people are lazy, and solitare already comes on the PC side, very usefull if your forced to use PC's at work.

12. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Read me sig! :D

13. HL Tan macrumors newbie

How about poor quality of their products and mainly: POOR SERVICE?

Do read APPLE's website: Support : Discussions.

Many have problems with their coms and yet AppleCare has rendered unsatisfactory assistance.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Apple have consistently come top of consumer's surveys of customer care and service.

Reading a support discussion is an unrepresentative sample of all users. The satisfied customers never complain...

That's not to say problems don't exist -- but you are overstating the issue.

15. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Some corporations (like mine) remove Solitaire and all the other games (and forbid their re-installation) so you can't do this.

I was never a "switcher" per se. I've always been a Mac addict, if not always a Mac user. I actually don't play Solitaire on Windows (when it's available), choosing instead something more challenging (3D Pinball and Minesweeper usually).

16. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Yeah but we got chess! Imagine all the people playing chess instead of Solitaire! Every secratary would become a genius! :D

17. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

CAD, abundant free (stolen) software, better hardware, tech nerd factor of building/customizing

18. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Hey!

Just 'cause I open my computer(s) about once a week doesn't mean you can call me a nerd.... geek is fine, sounds better. :)

19. 7on macrumors 601

7on

As much a geek or nerd as it is taking apart and customizing automobiles

20. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Who says you can't customize a Mac? My PowerMac G4 came with a 20 GB hard drive, ATI Rage 128 Pro, 128MB RAM and a 450Mhz Processor, and a DVD-ROM drive.

My PowerMac now has a 30GB & 120GB hard drives, ATI Radeon 9000, 640MB RAM, a DVD-RW (which I purchased at WalMart for a PC with a "requirement" of a pentium 3 and works perfectly in my PowerMac) The processor is still a 450, but I plan to upgrade it to at least 1Ghz in the near future.

So I guess your right, you can't customise a Mac :D