.exe files?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jayeskreezy, Mar 26, 2005.

1. jayeskreezy macrumors 65816

Are there any programs that install .exe programs on a mac? Yes, im a new mac user. thanks in advance.

2. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    Virtual PC. .Exes work on windows.

Try to find a mac version of your program.

Hope this helps.

3. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

Well, .exe programs are Windows/dos programs. You are on a Mac. Macs can't run Windows software, and Windows can't run Mac programs. The only way to run Windows .exe programs on a Mac is to purchase Virtual PC, but this is a PC emulator, so the program will run considerably slower than it would on an x86 PC. Does this answer your question?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Are you asking if you can run Windows applications...?

If so: There is always Virtual PC (from Microsoft) and sorts...

5. john1123 macrumors regular

john1123

.exe files only work on windows computers so no you cannot install your windows applications on a mac.

on a mac, applications have a .app extension. you should be able to find freeware/shareware alternatives for most programs you use/d on your windows machine though.

here is a good thread to get you started: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=58101

Edit: if you didn't know before, here is the proof that macrumor members are truly addicted :D 4 replies in 4 minutes :)

6. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A .exe file is a Windows executable.

That means virus. Drag and drop it in your trash can and laugh because it doesn't work. Feels good, doesn't it?

7. jayeskreezy thread starter macrumors 65816

thanks for your help....i didn't know that at all...oh well, there goes a LOT of free trials out the window, but it's koo...im still adjusting to this mac environment though

8. Covington macrumors member

the middle of nowhere ... well, close enough
    jayeskreezy, you can find some demos on the apple website. www.apple.com

Enjoy your mac.

9. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I don't mean to be rude, but it *is* hard to believe that you bought a Mac without realizing that there is no software compatibility with Wondows, never was and never will be. Didn't you do any research? Again, I'm not trying to make you feel bad, but I'm just a bit amazed, for lack of a better word.

10. AdamR01 macrumors 6502

I hope you're joking...

11. daveL macrumors 68020

daveL

I don't think the post was meant to be negative. The OP was vague, and I wondered how to take it. I think the post you replied to was thinking: This person got an email attachment with a .exe and wondering what to do with it. Just my take.

12. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

There is one exception to .exe files being non-mac-executable: Compressed files saved as self-extracting archives on a PC usually have the .exe extension. If you have one of these, Stuffit (or another Mac compression program) may be able to extract the enclosed files. Whether or not those files can be used on the mac depends of course on what they are.

So to sum up:
    An .exe (or .scr or .pif or .zip) that you get with an unsolicited email is probably a virus.
    An .exe program that you download or get from a CD is usually a Windows-only program or installer, and you can use it only with a Windows emulator.
    And an .exe or .zip that you get from someone who said they were sending you some compressed data files is probably a compressed archive that you can open with Stuffit or similar.

13. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I was, to a degree. One time a website made Safari download a file. Popped up in the download window. Using this linkety I learned it was malware.

Without a Mac, I'd have to use Ad-Aware to learn about it...

14. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

There are two main sites for finding Mac OS X demos/shareware/freware: Apple - Mac OS X - Downoalds (accessible from your Apple Menu, click the Apple at the top left and choose "Mac OS X Software..."), the other place is Versiontracker's Mac OS X pages...