.exe woes

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Macoltrane, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Macoltrane macrumors member

Hi there. I'm using a G4 iBook. Is there any way I can open a .exe file without having to buy and install Virtual PC? I need it to run some software for my class and it's driving me nuts. :(

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

You could try another emulator that is cheaper than VPC, but basically no.

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

IIRC, MS is now giving away VPC.

Edit: never mind - that was the Windows version of it, apparently.

4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

you could buy a macbook :p

What is the specs of your iBook, and what kind of .exe are you trying to open? If your computer isn't powerful enough, and your exe is too complex, there wouldn't be any point in using an emulator.

5. Macoltrane thread starter macrumors member

I'm using a 1.33 ghz iBook. Can anyone tell me where I can find this emulator :confused: and how safe it is to use?

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Without buying a version of VPC, you're very unlikely to have any joy. It was the best of the PPC emulators for x86 and it still wasn't particularly quick if what you're trying to run is at all complex. VPC was bundled with the pro version of Office - not sure if it's available separately.

If you tell us what you're trying to run, someone might have a Mac PPC substitute that you might be able to use instead.

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Very safe, they are like normal applications, the window's part could get a virus but it wouldn't affect the Mac side, we should know what application you want to run, as Applespider said there might be a Mac/Unix version after all, which would run better...

An emulator will be very slow if you have an old Windows 98 PC it will be faster...

8. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

What program are you trying to run? No matter how esoteric a type of program I've needed to run I've always been able to find a Mac equivalent if I could not run the suggested program.

9. emmaj Guest

I have the same problem as the original poster-- have an ibook g4, hoping not to have to buy virtual PC (both because of $ and how slow I've heard it is).

In my case, I'm looking to run Pajek and/or StocNet. These are both social network analysis tools. My searching has not turned up any way to run these on a Mac, but I figured someone here would know if there was a way!

Thanks.

10. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

Virtual PC was really slow. The alternatives to Virtual PC were even worse.

11. MikeTheC Guest

MikeTheC

Gallifrey -- Capitol City, Prydonian Sector
    You have to have a Win32 environment to run a Win32 app; ergo, you have to be running Windows to use a Windows program. What everyone else said here is true and accurate, so I'd suggest buying the cheapest PC you can get your hands on to run the app in question, since it would probably be cheaper for you to spend $200-$400 on a PC than almost the same money for VirtualPC + Windows XP, and moreover it would run at a normal speed, whereas anytime you use an emulator, you take a MASSIVE performance hit.

12. spinne1 macrumors 6502a

spinne1

If the apps are not resource hungry, just do what I did when I had to view some online videos that would not stream on a Mac: buy a super cheap PC on ebay and just use it. I paid $50 or so a while back for a 1.9Ghz Pentium 4 (from 2001). Sure, its junk compared to modern computers, but for my purposes, it works great.

Oh, and you DO NOT WANT TO INSTALL VPC. First, the performance is so slow it will shock you. Second, it will likely mess up your OS. It did mine anyway.

13. Arcane86 macrumors newbie

what would owning a macbook have to do with it? i own a macbook and i cant open .exe files...

14. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Macbooks are intel.

Macbooks can run Windows.

15. Arcane86 macrumors newbie

so i need a copy of windows on here b4 i can use software cds that are only for windows?
    cuz i own "the ipod killer" the creative zen vision m. and the cd wouldnt run on my macbook. the .exe wouldnt be recognized either.

16. bcooper0125 macrumors member

If you have an Intel MacBook (well...the MacBooks are Intel only...), you can use BootCamp to dual-boot into Windows. You will need to buy a legit copy of Windows XP, or Vista (on a MacBook, I'd recommend XP).

So, yes, in order to run Windows programs, you will need to run the Windows OS. Just the same as you can't run MacOS programs on anything but MacOS.

17. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

what bcooper0125 said!!!!

:apple: