Execute a dictator for Jesus

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dogbone, Nov 8, 2006.

1. dogbone macrumors 68020

dogbone

Maliki wants to execute Hussein by Christmas link but it seems to be a fruitless and impotent gesture that is dwarfed by 3 solid years of true horror for the people of Iraq.

I can't help feeling that a long jail sentence rather than a showpiece execution would be much better for the country. Nothing good can come of this.

2. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

The only issue I have is the other thirteen trials Saddam has.

The people negatively affected by Saddam won't get that sense of closure if he's executed in thirty days... No trials, no guilty verdict, nothin.

I say postpone the execution until he appears in all the court cases. Then off with his head!

3. dogbone thread starter macrumors 68020

dogbone

I thought he should have been capped when they dug him out of his hole in the ground, but that time has well passed. I can understand the sentiment of finishing off his other trials to gain some 'closure' but that's a bit too touchy feely and will just drag this whole shambles that is post Iraq, out longer.

His execution is so predictable that to not execute him would gain much more attention, and would signal to the people of Iraq a genuine intent to change the cycle of violence. Basically Maliki has been saying for ages that Saddam will get a fair trial then he'll be executed. So for him to reject this as some kind of a solution *may* give some hope to those who think that Iraq is sliding into an inevitable civil war. Not executing him says 'we don't have to follow our self immolating scripts'

4. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

that is stupid, saddam should be re-tried at international court after Iraq settle down, kill saddam right now will only fuel bigger civil war.

5. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

For the first time in a long time, I actually agree with you Dogbone.

6. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I agree, too. He should be held for life, like Hess, and only let out for attending court.

7. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

How 'bout we stick him back in the hole we found him in? :D

8. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

And concrete the area so he cant get out, the only hole he'd have is that pvc pipe for air/food.. ;) ;)