Exercise Machines - Elliptical,Magnetic Air

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by StokeLee, Jan 6, 2006.

1. StokeLee macrumors 6502

StokeLee

As one or two of you may remember, in May last year I broke my ankle, Theres a post somewhere with photos about it.

Well since then ive put on a lot of weight, I still cant do any impact exercise, so im looking to buy A exercise machine, im not interested in weights, but something like a rowing machine, exercise bike, or elliptical trainer.

From what i gather each of these are NON IMPACT, i.e i dont have to repeatadly strike the floor/equipment with my foot, and therefore doesnt put stress on my ankle.

Im not much a gym person, and joining a gym, wouldnt do for me, and also i dont really know much about what equipment is best, but ive only space for one machine. So the more it can do the better.

So any suggestions would be great, I beleive an elliptical trainer is something like a walking machine,,,, and then theres rowing and exercise bikes, of which some machines do both of them.

So is a combined rower/bike, better than an elliptical?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Lee

2. matt459 macrumors member

I'm certainly not an expert, but I have trained (not at the moment) for semi long distant running. I used a treadmill, and an elliptical machine. The elliptical is an absolutly amazing machine. It feels a whole lot different, and I seemed to sweat a lot more while using it. Which, I guess, is a good thing. But one word of caution, there are some pretty crappy (as with all exercise equiptment) low end models of elliptical trainers. I tried them out in the store, and some actually felt dangerous. And that's comming from someone weighing 155 pounds, my mother was too afraid to even try it. I hope that helps, and good luck with your search.
    ~Matt

3. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Cheers Matt, I think ill try and test the machine before i buy it. I know some are very study, and some you darent breathe on.

Thanks again

4. iGary Guest

iGary

I use an elliiptical machine at the gym every day. I too like you suffered an injury (back surgery) and put on about 40 pounds, as I could not do my marathons or run anymore.

The neurosurgeon said the recoumbant bikes and elliptical machines are perfect for non-impact excercise.

The thing to remember with any machine is form - with the elliiptical machine, you do not realize a full workout unless you keep your feet firmly planted on the "pedals," (no lifting your heels) and you actually push and pull with your arms on the upper grips.

With the bike, you need to concentrate on what your legs are doing to realize a full workout.

Good luck - I feel your pain. :eek: :(

5. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

My uncle got a rowing machine after his bypass surgery last year (July '04). I tried it once, and it gives a pretty good workout. I think the level of impact for your foot would be rather low, as they're strapped in.

6. iGary Guest

iGary

We have the same B-Day. :D

7. StokeLee thread starter macrumors 6502

StokeLee

Well, I plumped for a two-in-one rower and bike made by York.

Its quite cool, (well as cool as an exercise machine can be)

Ive had a quick go off both features, and i think i'll leave the rowing part for a week to get back a little bit of fitness first, its amazing how unfit I am now.

Thank you everyone for your comments about different types of exercise machines.

Lee

(iTunes on - now something slow i think.)

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Who, my uncle or me?
    Yeah, rowing machines tend to show just how fat and flabby you are. :D