Exercise tips for sedentary geeks

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by floyde, May 10, 2006.

1. floyde macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    After 24 years (that's my entire lifespan) I've finally gathered enough courage to start working out :eek:. So, to sum up my problem: I'm clueless about this, and I fear I might give myself a heart attack :p

I was hoping that the more active MR members could give me some basic tips on the proper way to exercise. I don't have time to go to a gym so if you could suggest ways to work out with home-made devices i'd greatly appreciate that. This is what I've got so far:
    (That's not me btw) And this:
    And that's it... I also have a few questions:
    1. How often should I exercise?
    2. How much time should I spend working out?
    3. Do I need to warm up before riding the bike or will starting slow do the trick?
    4. Should I exercise before or after a meal?
    5. Should I exercise in the morning or at night?
    6. How can I lift weights without hurting my hands? (I play guitar and piano and I want o keep doing that)
    I'm mostly doing this for health benefits, but If I can get tips on how to get washboard abs and prominent rear-cheeks then I'd appreciate that too :D
  2. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    Walk at a fast pace 45 minutes a day and you will be astonished at how many poinds will come off - after that, get a subscription to Men's Health and to the core strengthening routines in there - they are very good.
  3. SamIchi macrumors 68030

Aug 1, 2004
    I would suggest finding an active sport that you'll like. You could try gettin down a routine, but I always found that boring. If you really want to get into that, try picking up a fitness magazine like "Men's Fitness" or sumthin, it always has great exercises and stuff, easy to learn stuff, targeting certain areas.

I usually just play basketball, and run. I don't lift any wieghts or anything, it's just to boring for me.
  4. matix macrumors member

Apr 24, 2005
    Vancouver, BC
    eating right & lifting weights are 80-90% of proper weight loss. cardio helps, but its more of a supplementary activity...

If you starve yourself and do too much cardio, you'll end up being "skinny fat" and not looking very healthy-- even if you really do weigh only 150 lbs. cardio can be severly catabolic (muscle eating) if you're diet is not in order.

here's a great thread on menshealth.com discussions: So you want to lose Fat.

Good luck, I've lost 30 lbs (of almost all fat) since january. 225 -> 195 and feeling great.
  5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

Oct 24, 2002
    The West Loop

I suggest you do both Cardio and Strength Training.

Suggested equipment for the basics:
    Running shoes for the Cardio
    Why: Cheap solution, run or walk.

Set of Bowflex/Nautilus SelecTech Dumbells (Nautilus is $100-$150 cheaper, same stuff) for the strength training.
    All the dumbells you'll ever need, just don't drop them (weights skins will split that way - only catch)

Two phases:
    Phase 1. The Ramp-in from sedentary: need this so you don't in fact kill yourself (e.g. coronary heart attack)
    Phase 2. Main Sequence Workout

Phase 1: Ramp-In
    Three days a week, separated by one day for healing. Recommend Monday-Wednesday-Friday
    Work out in the morning, right after you get up (getting up is the HARDEST part)
    Stength Training:
    10 reps X 4 sets pushups
    10 reps X 4 sets bicep curls - 1/2 the wight you think is your maximum. You're just starting out - you don't wan to tear anything.
    1 min rest between each set - get a sports stopwatch if you can.

Do as iGary says, 45 min brisk walk - very pleasant. Distance doesn't matter here time does.

You will be sore for a few days, but you will notice that after a few workouts, you won't be anymore. this means you can begin to push the weights up a bit.

When you feel you are ready, after about three to four weeks, time to go to Phase 2: Main Sequence...

Phase 2: Main Sequence
    Keep the Three days-a-week, separated by one day for healing pattern. M-W-F
    Work out in the morning, right after you get up
    Stength Training:
    8 reps X 4 sets Bench Press with Dumbells - say 80% your maximum
    8 reps X 4 sets Bicep Curls - 80% your maximum.
    8 reps X 4 sets Chest Fly - 80% maximum.
    8 X 4 Latissimus pullups - 80% maximum.
    Don't be fooled at the beginning of the workout because the weights feel light - if you get the weights right - you'll barely be able to complete the last set. Contract the muscle, pull the weight slowly, when the rep is fully pulled, stay there - 'cramp' the muscle, then slowly release back to zero.
    1 min rest between each set

Run a mile. When you can run a mile straight without having to walk sometime in it, go to two, three, get to five if you can.

I think that, if you look at yourself in the mirror when you can be running 5 miles, you'll be there. Don't read too much about your weight, you'll have gained muscle, and muscle is really heavy.

Increase you protein intake. I prefer NitroTech Whey protein from GNC (Chocolate flavor :p )
  6. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    Start going out and dancing at least 3 times a week. No 45 minute sissy dancing. Be the first one on the dance floor and the last one off! No water breaks! No bathroom breaks! Meaning at least 3 hours each night. The pounds will drop off, you don't need a gym membership, you don't need to learn anything, and it's fun as hell!

Worked for me :). You're 24, a great age to do such things.

7. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    as if that's why you subscribe to men's health, Gary ;).

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

Apr 24, 2003
    Heh... my thoughts exactly.
  9. jefhatfield Retired

Jul 9, 2000
    1) start very gradually, with weights and cardio, then
    2) work up to three times a week, 30 minutes or more, then
    3) target your workout, but realize that:
    a) you still have to give your body a whole, total workout
    b) don't skip out on unpopular regimens like legs and back

i am a part time techie and have dealt with weight issues...wow, surprise...but to get fit and take off weight, gradually is best and the old standard of exercise and balanced, lower calorie intake, is still the best way to go

for long term, avoid fad diets like atkins and grapefruit diets, and others, that promise impossible results
  10. UKnjb macrumors 6502a

May 23, 2005
    London, UK
    Trust me on this one. I've been involved in rowing (seriously demanding sport) all my life. The BEST adjunct to any get-fit regime has been the Canadian Royal Air Force 5BX plan .

It takes 12 minutes a day, doesn't need any special equipment and I know that it can take anyone from unfit through to international-level (equals Olympic) of fitness.

No axe to grind here, but I have trained myself and top-level crews with this scheme and --- it works.

Good luck! :)
  11. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    That seems a bit drastic- but it would probably do the trick. :) ;)
  12. Unorthodox macrumors 65816

Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
    I wish I could GAIN weight. Not loss it.
    But I'd rather be skinny than fat.
    And Im not skinny. I just have a thinning wardrobe. ;)
  13. rye9 macrumors 65816

Sep 20, 2005
    New York (not NYC)
    What type of results do you want? Do you want to gain weight, gain muscle mass, lose weight, etc.?
  14. thedude110 macrumors 68020

Jun 13, 2005
    Right on.

Of course, I read that as "Get a dog!"
  15. floyde thread starter macrumors 6502a

Apr 7, 2005
    Monterrey, México
    Wow, thanks a lot guys! Lots of useful tips. patrick0brien's and UKnjb's routines seem particularly interesting, but I guess it'll take me a while to be able to handle them. In the meantime I'll try to find my former college roommates' Men's Health magazines, they used to get them all the time.

I guess if I succeed in this, eventually I'll be able to walk across the country, heck, I might even walk all the way down to the Patagon and become a cult celebrity :cool:

I'd do that but I really suck at dancing, I have no rythm whatsoever. Besides, I need to have at least 6 beers on me to even consider dancing, so I guess that goes against the whole purpose, hehe (unless someone knows an exercise routine that involves beer :D )

Well, I'm technically overweight, but I'm sure I won't have that much trouble loosing those few extra pounds. My real purpose is to be fit so that I won't have to use a cane by the time I'm 30. I would also like to gain some muscle mass as I currently have 0 :eek:
  16. iGary Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
    It has it's fringe benefits. ;) :D
  17. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

May 19, 2002
    And I thought it was the discount coupons for the prostate exams. :(

As far as this topic goes, if the thought of removing the batteries from all the remote controls in the house doesn't shock you -- congrats.

All depends if you want something low tech like using gravity assisted exercise, or want something along the Bowflex line.
  18. scem0 macrumors 604

Jul 16, 2002
    back in NYC!
    I don't buy it! If you have fun doing it that's all that matters. I thought the exact same thing as you until I moved to New York and decided to get out of my shell and go for it. I thought I was a bad dancer and that I didn't want to embarass myself by dancing in public for a long time. I avoided the dance floor at all costs.

Go and dance! And let yourself have fun! Once you start enjoying yourself the rest comes naturally. I get told that I'm a good dancer when I go clubbing pretty often, and once upon a time I thought I was bad. Even if I wasn't told that, I'd still go, it's so much fun! It's also great exercise.

I think it would be very healthy for you physically and healthy for your confidence to dance. Do it! :)

19. OutThere macrumors 603

Dec 19, 2002
    If you live near a climbing gym you could try rock climbing. Regular exercise regimes bore me greatly (lifting, running mindlessly, etc.), whereas rock climbing is a huge workout on muscles you've never used before, plus it incorporates cardio (depending on how hard you push yourself and for how long), BUT you're always looking for new routes and moves and things you can try. Everything you do is a workout, but there's some intelligence behind it.

Look into it! :D
  20. xsedrinam macrumors 601

Oct 21, 2004
    It's good to see your wit back around these parts, Sun Baked. :)