Exercise

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Apr 2, 2007.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Do you exercise? How do you get yourself motivated to exercise? :confused:

2. bartelby macrumors Core

I try to exercise.
    I still haven't figured out the motivation bit properly!:eek:

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Apparently it takes 8 weeks to create a habit. So you need to find motivation for the first two months and then you should be able to stick to it.

You need to know why you want to exercise and what benefit you're getting from it. Get those straight in your head and it's easier to tell yourself that you're going to do it.

Finding something that you enjoy is important and don't throw yourself in at too high a level. If you haven't exercised in years, don't try to do a 5K run the first time out. Get yourself to the mildly sweaty and slightly out of breath point and you'll get that good feel.

Lastly, find something you can do without going hugely out of your way to do it. If you're joining a gym, join one on your route home or near home - not one that in order to get to, you have a long journey after your commute.

Once you exercise regularly and get fit, it's addictive. You'll get antsy if you haven't used up that energy - but again, give it a few weeks and you'll lose the habit :(

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Listen to the tasty arachnid. I've just come off a six week injury and am trying to get back into my running. I get paid per race, so the incentive's a bit higher, however I know as well as the next person just how hard it can be to create the habit. I also know how good it is once the habit is established. Exercise becomes far far easier after that two months. The first two months are the most crucial time. :)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

The motivation is easy: I just take my clothes off and stare myself in the mirror. Then I kiss my biceps and give myself a "You're the man now, dogg!"

6. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Put a picture of yourself on the refrig.

My problem is I start out way to fast and kill myself and then take a break or run out of time and then I am back to square one.

7. nplima macrumors 6502a

Get a work-out partner. or two. it's best for everyone: you get the extra motivation of having someone pushing you a bit so you won't give up; if you think of skipping practice one day you'll feel extra guilty for letting the other one down; you won't get bored as easily if you have someone to talk to while at the gym.

8. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

for me, i sit at a computer all day and get fidgety. i get an hour for my lunch break, and i'm fortunate enough to work about 1/4 mile from the C&O Canal Towpath. for the last 2 years, i've been going out and running 4 miles during my lunch hour. i don't go out if it's raining or storming, but i *do* go out in the snow.

it's difficult to get motivated, but i'm generally a pretty healthy person, and i know how beneficial it is for me to get that hour of exercise every day. if i don't go out and run, i just feel kinda bad all day. it's basically just a good, healthy habit. :)

i also have a running partner who is twice my age and doesn't skip a day of running for anything. she kicks my butt if i don't go out. :p

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Your motivation will come after you start exercising. After going for a run 4-5 times over a 2 week stretch (yes, that's all), and I think you'll likely see a small difference. Do it for a month, and you'll see even more results. But heck, why stop there, right? It's working so well. Look at yourself. You're sexy now. Why would you want to stop? You want to keep this going because you're obviously a lot more fit than you were weeks ago.

10. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Easiest way is to pick an event...

to stride for to compete in. I've gotten motivated the past five months by preparing for the police academy and a local 5k. Quiet honestly the more traditional/ simple exercises are the best for you: running, pushups, situps, etc. What I would do is pick a running event, a 5k in your area, which is happening in a few months and tell yourself you are doing it. Maybe even get some coworkers or neighbors involved. Hell throw down some bets if it gets you guys motivated. Then start an east running program that starts you off low and slowly works your way up. The most important thing though is to buy an awesome pair of running shoes. I made that mistake in the beginning... invest some money!

I used to barely be able to run a straight mile, now I can do 3.5 to four straight without a problem. It is all about building up to it. If event modivation isn't enough... along with a very good diet now and regular exercise (five days a week) I've dropped ten pounds of fat and two inches off my waist in that time.

11. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Someone said it above, but it bears repeating: if you want to truly be motivated, try to start an exercise regimen with someone else. There will be days when you just don't feel like working out, but since you're accountable to someone else, you'll suck it up (and trust me, you'll feel better for it). And it works the other way, they'll want to wuss out, and you'll hold them accountable. That is definitely an excellent motivator.

I've found that just a quick (~20 minutes or so) jog with some push-ups, crunches, and pull ups makes for a near-perfect workout for me. 3 days a week (MWF) at about 30ish minutes is enough to get in my exercise and not feel like I'm devoting all my time to it. Works out great for me.

Oh, before I forget, the other thing to keep in mind is that if you haven't worked out in a long time, you're going to have a harder time getting "up to speed" as it were. Just push through it, and don't get discouraged. Right at the beginning is the easiest time to lose your motivation.

12. Queso macrumors G4

I just don't like that feeling of sponginess you start getting in your limbs when you haven't exercised for a couple of days., which is normally motivation enough. Just a few weights or swimming 1500m will normally sort that out though :cool:

13. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

My exercise regime is 2-3 nights at the gym a week (at about 40-50 minutes per session) and one, sometimes two, games of 5-a-side football a week. (Plus I'm a very bad fair-weather surfer!)

My motivation at the start was to sign up on a yearly contract which meant that if I didn't use the gym I'd be wasting my money. Then, like others here have said, I began to enjoy going to the gym and now I miss the 'next day ache' if I don't train. I also change my training routine every 6-8 weeks to keep the workouts 'fresh'.

(Oh yeah, and it also helps that the lass on the front desk is extremely attractive! ;) )

14. kretzy macrumors 604

kretzy

What everyone else has said pretty much.

But I'll throw in another vote for having friends to go to the gym with. A few years ago when I started gyming regularly there was a group of us that went together. It became a bit of a social get together + workout, which made it really easy to go to plus we'd all encourage each other if one of us was feeling lazy.

Also, if you're doing the gym thing make sure you have a program written for you. I've just has this done after avoiding the gym for over a year, and I'm finding that because it's been written and scheduled I actually go.

15. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Also - another thing I find really motivating is setting goals, and not large "I-want-to-run-a-marathon-by-May" type goals, but easier to reach goals like "I-want-to-run-2-miles-without-walking-by-May" or something along those lines. That way, you'll reach your goal quicker and you'll feel better about your progress. After that, set another goal. Maybe something like "I-want-to-run-10-miles-in-a-single-week" or something like that.

Smaller goals achieved more often are far more motivating (IMO) than larger goals that are achieved less frequently.

16. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

I think I'm going to just start going to a gym. I purchased a bunch of gym equipment, and now I never use it. It's too hard to not get distracted when I'm at home, and I think if I went to a gym I could just focus on working out.

I did however change my diet, and it's made somewhat of a difference. Started drinking whey protein shakes and taking vitamins.

I just wish I had someone to go to the gym with... would be much easier in regards to motivation. I used to be very much in shape, now I'm just, uh, shapely.

17. Legolamb macrumors 6502a

Legolamb

Short answer: What gets you motivated at one stage is not necessarily what will keep you motivated.
    Long answer: I started exercise after a lifetime of sloth. I'm not overweight, so it was not a body-image thing. I just had zero energy to get out bed. I started lifting weights because I hated running, cycling, etc. After a couple of months of feeling better about being vertical and stronger, I started on a treadmill. 5 minutes max. Each week I added a minute and upped the speed a drop. Two years later, about 3X a week: weights, Pilates, running about 30 minutes.
    My latest thing now is to get this endorphin buzz from sprinting at 9mph. I can only do this as a treat after a more principled routine, 'cause it totally wipes me out after 15 seconds. But I love that high and keeps me motivated.

18. ziwi macrumors 65816

ziwi

It all depends on what gets you motivated. Do you need folks around you to support you or can you do it as a solo artist?

Going to a gym - get a gym buddy or more. Commit to stick with it.
    Doing something solo - set a goal and go for it.

Where you are at it seems as if the opportunities to exercise whether running, biking, blading, water sports, etc. Mix it up and it will also help keep you active longer.

19. Phat Elvis macrumors 6502

Wait, you get paid to race? Nice work if you can get it.

I'll put in a vote for exercising first thing in the morning. That way you have no excuses: I had to work late, I'm really tired, I'm sore, I'm meeting up with friends, I don't have time... Get your exercise done first and then go about your day.

And smile when you exercise - it actually kicks in a few endorphins.

20. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

Yes get a partner, but...

Make sure they are at the same level or near the same level as you. My regular running partner is at about the same fitness level then me (a little lower), so we balance out and can set about equal goals. If you workout with someone way above your level a few things with happen. You'd probably become a little disheartened when you see how you stack up compared to them. The other thing will be they will push you too hard too fast. I have a buddy I've ran with on a number of occassions and he killed me because he does long distance marathons.

Also, if you want real results, you'll need to work out for at least an hour a day. Twenty minutes wont cut it, it might maintain a good fitness level once you reach it, but it wont help you drop pounds or boost confidence. I do three days of cardio (plus pushups and situps) and two days of weight training. My cardio will last for at least 70 minutes (mostly running) and and I'll weightrain for about two hours.

Also, a 5k in three months is not an unobtainable goal. You don't have to finish first, but being able to run the whole thing (3.1 miles) is very doable. If you decide to start running, which is probably the best exercise you can do, run in you neighborhood and not a treadmill. The change in scenery will help take your mind off pain and discomfort.

21. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I work out 7 days a week as of a couple weeks ago. The workouts consist of half an hour of weight lifting or more every other day, and half an hour of treadmill and elliptical every day. It's quick and I know what to expect, which makes it easy for me.

Getting checked out by hot guys is what motivates me ;).

But as soon as I get my body to the place I want, I'm going to go down to 3 days a week and just attempt to maintain what I have :).

e

22. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    A slight irony there between the first and second paragraphs ;) Telling people to work out for at least an hour a day isn't going to motivate them to start... Aim for 30 minutes a day initially... and build up from there if you want to see results faster and as you get fitter.

23. furryrabidbunny macrumors 6502

furryrabidbunny

What is wrong with working out for an hour? The length of time doesn't mean it's going to be particularly strenuous. I could do one hell of a workout if I needed to in a half hour. I also never said it has to be an hour straight either. But showing up at the gym for a half hour isn't going to do much. Also, the length of time wont determine how fit his/her partner is?

24. Lau Guest

I agree, with Applespider, actually. I've got back into it by running for only 10 minutes every day, and adding on a minute every other day, and then coming back and doing a few weights every other day. It's been a massive motivator to go every day, whereas in the past I wouldn't go at all if I wasn't going to do a full 30 minute session, and I didn't build up the habit so much.

Having said that, whatever works for you. If you're motivated by really quick results, massive sessions are going to work, but I wouldn't say that even really short sessions aren't doing anything, particularly if it gets you in the habit to keep going and do it really regularly. I'm in it for the long term. :D

25. fotografica macrumors 68040

For motivation,standing in front of a full length mirror naked :p..Honestly,just the feeling of more energy,a better frame of mind, more strength etc works for me...