ExHDD and VM Fusion question !

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jmfel1926, Sep 10, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Jun 22, 2012
    Hello to everyone ! i have two questions :

1) is there a program that will allow me to read and write from an external hdd that is formated in NTFS ? i have downloaded NTFS-3G but when i plug in the ExHDD it says that it was unable to read my drive

2) i installed the free version of VM Fusion 5 and i am totaly satisfied . is there a free program like VM Fusion to download? it is quite a lot 45 euros to buy the official VM Fusion 5 ...
  2. macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    NTFS (Windows NT File System)
    • Read/Write NTFS from native Windows.
    • Read only NTFS from native Mac OS X
      [*]To Read/Write/Format NTFS from Mac OS X, here are some alternatives:
      • For Mac OS X 10.4 or later (32 or 64-bit), install Paragon ($19.95) (Best Choice for Lion and Mountain Lion)
      • For Mac OS X 10.5 and later, including Lion, FUSE for OS X
      • For 32-bit Mac OS X, install NTFS-3G for Mac OS X (free) (does not work in 64-bit mode)
      • For 64-bit Snow Leopard, read this: MacFUSE for 64-bit Snow Leopard
      • Some have reported problems using Tuxera (approx $36), which is an enhanced version of NTFS-3G with faster performance.
      • Native NTFS support can be enabled in Snow Leopard and later versions, but is not advisable, due to instability.
    • AirPort Extreme (802.11n) and Time Capsule do not support NTFS
    • Maximum file size: 16 TB
    • Maximum volume size: 256TB
    • You can use this format if you routinely share a drive with multiple Windows systems.
  3. macrumors G4

Oct 23, 2010
    VirtualBox is a free program from Oracle that allows you to install Windows in a virtual machine.