Expandability of the iPhone

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by Kelsangnorbu, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Kelsangnorbu macrumors newbie

Hello - Look at the iPhone Image here:

http://www.apple.com/iphone/

It reeks of expandability. There are 5 icon spaces! and that's before a scrolling bar appears! The bottom four icon are separated for good reason - there the products core features. Separated from the favourites apps/other apps. And hey - whats in the settings option!! ANYONE! OK it is possible that apple will be in control of new apps THEY choose to expand it with. BUT widgets have been all about 3 party innovation. Jobs has previously said how happy he is with the widget innovation people are coming out with. I think 3 party apps may be restricted to widget type depth. But thats actually a very good thing. Should be fine for Skype, Simple Pages widget - (EXPECT mini versions of Mac programs), Omni product widgets (omnifocus!), MS Word widget (no great editing at all but you can make a cracking start on your doc/ideas. Sketch with you fingers - artists digital moleskine!/Painter widget. PDF Ebooks - this is eBook viable! Did you see the New york time fluid navigation. It looked pleasant enough to actually read!

Nobody should really want fully fledged 'true desktop apps' on a handheld. To messy. This 'desktop class' thing is Apple's clever way of saying you can have the quality of desktop apps - but non of the apps shown so far have shown the depth of a desktop app - just the quality, functionality and 'class' of a desktop app. This is a good thing peps. This phone (if widgets do go 3rd party WILL actually be useful - not messy. Saying that - maybe we'll be photoshoping on the bugger in 2 years.

Get speculating peps - demand this stuff, make noise - I thought this thing wouldn't happen, in the end - pocket OS X, wow!. It did and in five years we'll all be using something very like it. A lot of people (non photoshopers etc) are prob. going to want this and to forget about a computer altogther. Personally I would like to one day have someting like this and nothing else. No comp. and all the other crap. Just my Star Trek pocket thingy. This is an amazing start - and it will change consumer digital products AND computers. Apple made the pocket computer viable where all other companys failed. Also Apple is going to challege the providers soon - They will play ball for a while - but this going into everyones pocket in a few years time - common place like the iPod, then they will choose who they allow to play ball with them - and they will have to play nice. Time someone shook this bland market! But putting it in perspective it just a phone and lifes going to be basically the same.

Also am I the only one who heard Steve say there WILL be a 3G version (UK/Euro market).

Apples FIRST phone and it's useful - wait for the 5G iPhone! - ha. Open the platform though Apple. Control expandibility? sure, but don't stop it.

2. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

I think that it would be cool if the iPhone eventually built in voice recognition (e.g., being able to dictate documents and emails to it.)

3. Doozy macrumors regular

I spoke with an Apple Staff member at Macworld yesterday, and he told me that even the widgets will be controled by Apple. The iPhone is totally lock down to third party developers right now including the widgets.

4. 4np macrumors 6502a

4np

I think it will be hacked as soon as it arrives. A fancy gadget phone running a UNIX flavour and has an ARM processor is very interesting to a lot of people...

5. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

look how misguided we were just after the initial announcement of the original iphone. But at that time could we have ever imagined where we would be now?

6. PetitBourgeois macrumors member

The OP was pretty forward thinking, are you being sarcastic?

7. solarguy17 macrumors 6502a

somewhat. becuase he is so hopeful and then as we all know the OS 1.0 was so terrible its no surprise that it got hacked so quickly.

we dont even really have widgets yet, in the sense of stuff that on the desktop shows weather, and other useful info.