"Expanding" Windows XP from Virtual PC

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Diomedes, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Diomedes macrumors 6502

I bought Office 2004 Pro with the intention of having VPC to run programs like Visio and Project that I use everyday. However, at least until Intel Macs, this has proved an unworkable solution for me, so I bought a Dell laptop to complement my PowerBook. My Dell came with XP Home. How can I “expand” the copy of Windows XP Pro if I wanted to upgrade my laptop?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry, but I don't quite know what you mean. :eek:

Do you want to use the XP Pro licence from VPC on your laptop?

3. Diomedes thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I want to install XP on my Dell. The CDs included with VPC have Windows installation executables, right?

Basically, I don't want to spend another $100 on XP Pro since I already own (and am licensed) it.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, that's what I said. I suppose it's feasible but I wouldn't recommend it. I'm not sure how customised the pre-loaded VPC version of XP is. I think you should probably stick to the software that came with, was distributed with, and was designed for your laptop just in case.

Of course, if you have a retail boxed version of XP Pro, I guess you could use the licence number from VPC and install from that box but I guess you've already thought of that. :)

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

What are the real differences between Pro and Home and are they really vital to your work?

I've never used Home, but I have Pro with VPC too.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

borrow a friend's disc and use your serial number? im pretty sure that's legal...download it on bittorrent and use your serial number? im pretty sure that's legal...

7. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Yeah, as long as you use your own serial number it shouldn't be a problem. Just try it out, the worst that can happen is it not working. XP Home seems to get the job done though.