Expect macs to get cheaper and better ith the Intel switch

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Dustintendo, Oct 8, 2005.

1. Dustintendo macrumors member

since they will be using the same chips as other pc vendors like dell, they will have to stay competitive but offering more computer for less money.

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

3. Bear macrumors G3

Actually I thought Apple already added much value with the software they include.

Also, look around, Macs are not really that overpriced anymore. Configure a Dell to match a Mac and they'll be baout the same price. Better yet, compare laptops, Apple is not really overpriced - they just don't sell stripped down models really.

4. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm sure that Apple won't be raising prices. They have been increasing specifications at the same price. The occasional price decrease are appreciated. Time will tell with what Apple does wit the switch.

5. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

I wouldn't expect them to get significantly cheaper, because they're still Macs, and as for better, well, that would have happened anyway, whether PPC or x86. (I assume you mean support for PCIe and stuff.)

--Eric

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

If we can shove a normal PCI E card into a powermac it will be very happy days indeed. :)

7. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Duh! what rock have you been hiding under. We only have about 50 threads on this.Thanks for another :rolleyes:

8. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

where's that master of the obviose graphic when you need it? :p

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

perhaps some small price drops but nothing like iBooks for 399 for stuff like that, really they are not that much more $$$ a little but for the Software its worth it

i want an eBook a 599 or 699 laptop computer!!

10. yoda13 macrumors 65816

yoda13

What he said... :D

11. Bear macrumors G3

Just remember, just because a card physiclaly fits in a system, it doesn't mean there are device drivers for that card available for the OS you are ruuning.

And what PCIe card are you so interested in? Some cards won't benefit from being faster than PCI.

12. pknz macrumors 68020

pknz

With power comes sarcasm. I don't see Apple dropping the price hugely just because they use Intel chips.

13. minimax macrumors 6502

Intel chips are reportedly much more expensive as the PPC ones. OTOH they might receive a nice discount and they can save on r&d. All in all my bet is cost evens out for Apple. So no price drop most likely.

14. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

He's a fricken newbie! come on guys.. Scare 'em away. Jesus....!!

15. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

Savage wolves ... grrr!! bark bark.

This is pretty much well known though. I don't think we'll see prices drop significantly for the first updates but in the long run we should defiantly get better value for money.

16. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

LOL.. I can only imagine.. The emac isn't nearly as nice as the G3 imac design. eBook? maybe thicker...
    In the Australian Sydney morning Herald saturday paper, icon had an article about this guy wanting to make laptops that would cost people $133. He had a guarantee that in a year every student would have one. (These are to be bought in batches for schools.) PCs I bet :rolleyes: still promising :)

17. Bear macrumors G3

That depends on what you call promising - the screen will have a rather low resolution and be very on the low end specification wise.

Remember you tend to get what you pay for.

18. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

The big problem for mac cards is that the BIOS needs to be re-worked for Mac OS.

This costs money.

Which is why you can only put a PC card into a mac if theres a mac version to "obtain" the mac BIOS from and "insert" it.

Amiga have done a much better job than Apple, the new Amigas motherboard has a chip that cons the graphic card into thinking it is hooked into a pc board and therefore gives you a lot more cards to choose from.

And, yes, while PCI E gives you no real performance advantages yet it will do in a year or 2 but the cost advantages of making a PCI E cards as they are the most popular means there only going to get cheaper.

Which for anyone who has ever bought a Mac graphics card will tell you is not much fun.

at all.

Not in the slightest.

Bit fun.

:eek:

19. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

Must be a PC diehard

Come on, that arguement is stale. You are a newbie I see, well you must also be new the Macintosh as well. Quality is what I expect from Apple, not quantity and price. I do wish PC users would understand that. It is the experience of using a Mac that is worth the "extra cost".

20. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Yes the experience is part of what your paying for.

But Apple have got to move with the times.
    They would not have moved to a new processor, with the enormous cost and hassle entailed within if they did not think it the best course of action for the company in the long term.

Remember the fuss around the dropping of SCSI as a default mac standard?
    Now the sky did not fall in did it?

21. wrxguy macrumors 6502a

wrxguy

Did we really need another post to just say that?? come on guy...