Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by lem0nayde, Jan 26, 2004.

1. lem0nayde macrumors regular

So, what improvements and speedbumps are we generally expecting for the next generation of G5 desktops?

I'd like for them to fix the harddrive heating issue, possible add more room for additional drives.

Also, should they switch to that other flavor of PCI? What is it called? PCI express?

And, we can always hope that they've been secretly working with 3DLabs or someone to offer a real graphics card. Though that would boost the price significantly.

I just wish we had more info on when they are coming out...I would love to sell my Dual 2gig on ebay - and use the money to by a next-gen machine.

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I saw your hard drive heating issue. have you seen xlr8yourmac article on that?

3. lem0nayde thread starter macrumors regular

No...which article is that - I'd be interested in reading it. I'm so worried about damage being caused to the two 250GB harddrives in there. That is a lot of information to have damaged (of course, I try to back up regularly.)

I also found the drives really difficult to remove.

Joe

4. numediaman macrumors 6502a

I'll add my two cents -- because I really care about this.

1) more speed -- no expectations, just a bump. (the mid-range at 2.2 would be great, but I'll settle for 2.0) Bus speed improvement would be great, as well -- but not necessary.
    2) new graphics cards to replace the 9600. All the black screen of death posts have me scared. Sounds like this card and cold weather spell disaster. It sounds like the NVDIA card is OK since I don't game.
    3) a fix to iDVD4 so that it will work properly on the G5.
    4) more RAM. You need 1 gig minimum, put it in the base model. I'll buy the rest separately.
    5) most importantly, second generation performance. I want a reliable machine. I'm not a beta-guy. Give me a machine with most of the kinks worked out. The big jumps and experiments should be done on first generation machines.

I've already bought an external CD burner, a second hard drive, a new printer and a new scanner for this "new G5" -- all I need now is the "new G5".

5. macmunch macrumors regular

I would like to see:

1. Speed bump (to 2,4)
    2. 2nd Drive Bay if possible
    3. No revision A Mac --> I need a proven machine
    4. 3 equivalent Boards not 2 different models
    5. More basic RAM (for that price)
    6. and one more HD bay (Room is there)

6. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

I think since they are receiving lower power G5s that in theory should be producing less heat at even half again the MHz as the current chips they should do a slight case redesign.

They should shrink the cpu area down and give enough room for a second optical bay and therefore additional hard drives. While they're at it do what they can to get an additional PCI slot in there for all the audio guys.

As for moving to PCI express. They already have it. That's what PCI-X is on the Dual/1.8 and 2GHz models.

7. macmunch macrumors regular

PCI Express is not the Same as PCI-X

I think we´ll see it in the next revision, because at the moment there are no PCI express cards ...

8. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

I agree with what everyone else said. However, I'd just like to seem them updated.. I feel like I've been waiting a long time... I'm getting tired of it and I"m not going to buy a first generation. It always seems to be a wait with Apple..

9. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Oops, you are correct. I must have been confused with something else.

In any case yes it looks like PCI Express is the logical next step. The problem is that it's not a set standard yet and is still evolving. As for cards being available for it the good thing is it is suppose to be 100% backwards compatible.

10. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

Just thought that I would add that I use a dual 2gig G5 at work all day, and also have one at home. They have both been top notch and never had any problems with them. Just thought I needed to say that becuase I see so many people saying they are waiting for a more reliable machine. . . when meanwhile I have been working on my g5's for months saving hours upon hours of time on rendering and encoding. I just don't buy that first gen products are buggy arguement, but then again, I could be the exception.

11. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

Fair enough.. There's been reports of the heat issues with the hard drives and reports of the power supply chirping and video card issues. Additionally many people realize that kinks are workedout in second revisions. So there could be added speed improvements etc.

On another note. It's been a while since the last update and I wouldn't want to buy one now if it's going to be updated in the next couple of months. So I'll wait and wait and wait and maybe it'll never happen and maybe I'll never buy one or maybe I'll buy something else.. who knows.

12. Laslo Panaflex macrumors 65816

Laslo Panaflex

I were in the situation I would wait as well, but I would probably look into getting the current line at a huge discount once the rev. b comes out. I mean you can get a daul 2gig g5 refurb right now for 2,400 it will probably drop down to 1,900 when the new g5s come out. That would be an awsome deal.

13. pgwalsh macrumors 68000

pgwalsh

That would be a bargain..

14. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

here it ishttp://www.xlr8yourmac.com/g5/g5_drive_heat_tips.html#storytop a excellent article about how the fan is cooling the sensor before the sensor can read correct harddrive temp.

15. bannedagain macrumors member

Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

More 5'1/2" drive bays would be good,
    PCI Express is to replace the AGP Bus, not PCI-X (read my post on the BTX motherboard standard under my old user Manitoubalck)
    The R9800 is a fantastic graphics card, just since mac's don't support DirectX, game ports run poorly.
    Why did you buy a DELL?

16. bannedagain macrumors member

Re: Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

I said to rower that I wouldn't post any more "You diserve a Slap" reply's So I wont.

PCI Express is to Replace AGP 8x
    PCI-X, is just an extended PCI slot with a 133MHz Bus, Even though 95% of all PCI cards still run in the Standard PCI 1.1 (i think) 33MHz bus.

17. lem0nayde thread starter macrumors regular

Hey "Dont Hurt Me" thanks for the link. I've just gotten done moving the fan sensor behind my 2 internal drives. It'll be interesting to see if the temperature drops over time. It appears to be doing so already.

Thanks a lot!!!

joe

18. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

I may deserve a slap and I don't mind.
    If you read the thread I have already been corrected on PCI-X and PCI-Express and I responded in kind.

In any case if I'm being stupid I want to be told so. How else will I know that I'm being stupid and need to fix my information.

What I read today said that PCI-Express is fully backward compatible with PCI thought the complete feature set is not set in stone yet. Also information on PCI Express talked as if it would eventually be able to replace all other PCI and AGP type slots.

This is where I got my information.

http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/faqs/faq_express/

19. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Speed bump, 2.6 to 3.0 GHz -- with a 3x bus multiplier.

Plus the normal Rev. B repairs to the machine to solve the Rev. A problems.

Unless Apple did get the UniNorth 3.x shrunk down this time around -- then I'd expect them to keep a 2x multiplier.

Probably still a little early for Apple to do too many changes to the Memory controller, hasn't really gone their typical period of time -- and the DDR2 memory still might not have hit the availability Apple needs.

---

While the CPU may have made a leap in speed, the sticking point is still the UniNorth 3.x -- Apple usually keeps a new controller around a couple years, using the PCI bus to keep it up to date.

Intrepid showed up with the PB12/17, and the UniNorth 3.x (aka U3) & KeyLargo 2 (K2) showed up in the PowerMac G5 while the KeyLargo Southbridge showed in 1999 (and is still being used in the PowerMac G4/eMac).

20. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

I agree with other posters

Speed hike of course - keep an entry level machine single, or price as a single...until G5s make it to iMac a cheaper machine is in order

Base Gig at same Price - two 512s

Improved graphics card

Bundle bluetooth with all machines at minimal cost addition

Jason

21. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

i expect that a 2nd gen g5 will make its pretty way into that 20" imac i've had my eye on..:D

hopefully they can stick a 9600 in it, once the pm's get the 9800s.e. or whatever its called.

22. ffakr macrumors 6502a

Re: Re: Re: Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

PCI-Express is backward compatable as is PCI-X.
    PCI-Express is more revolutionary while PCI-X is more evolutionary.. PCI-Express (as I understand it) is comprised of multiple HyperTransport like channels. These channels can be used in parallel to provide increased bandwidth to one device, so a machine may have 32 PCI-Express channels of which 16 may be used by the video card while 4 may be used for an audio card.
    .... at least that's how I understand it. I don't know how PCI-Express can still handle old PCI cards since it seems way different than current PCI standards.

23. Nik_Doof macrumors regular

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

IIRC theres only certain slots that are going to be PCI compatible, as theres 3 types of PCI Express port, Compact (like a AMR port size), Standard (PC without the littke back cutout part) and PCI.

Cant remember where i read up on it, was summat like Toms Hardware or somewhere

24. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Expectations for G5 Gen. 2 ?

I provided this link earlier but if you want to know anything about PCI-Express follow the link and read on. The link is to the company that has the patent and heads the PCI-Express standard development.

http://www.pcisig.com/news_room/faqs/faq_express/

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I would like to see a speed bump up to as close to 3.0 as possible. Added memory, but still a price decrease. Fix needed problems that have occurred with Rev. A. A machine that will hopefully have my name on it in the future.