Expectations of Leopard...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by XP Defector, Dec 14, 2006.

1. XP Defector macrumors 6502

Apr 5, 2006
    I've looked at it on Apples website and it really just looks like OSX 10.4 but with some added cool features (time machine etc), and updates of the major bundled software (iLife etc). Does anyone think that Apple will be redesigning the fundamentals of the OS and not announcing it until release?
  2. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

Jan 10, 2006
    Total 64bit compatibility, resolution independency? They are not iCandy.

A true 64bit app running on 64bit hardware can access loads more memory and so should be super 'snappy'.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    Why does Apple *need* to redesign the fundamentals of the whole OS?
  4. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    iLife is not bundled with Leopard (or Tiger for that mater). iLife '07 will be a separate product requiring separate purchase.

If Apple fundamentally redesigned the OS again all the developers would be pissed. That said they are adding a massive amount of very cool stuff for developers that you can read about on the ADC site (free ADC account required). None of this will show up directly as a user feature but it should mean lots of much cooler software.

Wil Shipley has already announced that Delicious Library will require Leopard which can only mean he's using lots of these new APIs.
  5. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    I'm not expecting "fundamental" changes to Leopard as in the difference between OS 9 and OS X, but I am expecting the much needed UI redesign, a totally new way of browsing for networks and sharing files/folders and printers, etc. Also, I'm hoping Leopard will bring us ZFS as the new filesystem (arn says this is confirmed!!!).
  6. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Redesigning the fundamentals of an OS isn't something you just do on a whim. It takes years of development and a significant amount of money. Moreover, when you do it, you have to be sure it's a significant improvement, otherwise developers will abandon your platform.
  7. tsvb macrumors 6502

Jan 28, 2006
    Syracuse, NY
    I think we will be suprised as to what they show us in January.
  8. MacVault macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2002
    Planet Earth
    Is that an educated guess? Or just getting your hopes up?
  9. superted666 Guest

Oct 17, 2005
    be suprised if zfs makes it to 10.5

was only 6 months ago or so they approached sun over it and its a big change!
  10. FF_productions macrumors 68030

Apr 16, 2005
    Mt. Prospect, Illinois
    I'm starting to think the same. They didn't want to show us the Top Secret features at WWDC because they didn't want Microsoft to copy us. So they wait until MWSF to show us the Top Secret features, just as Vista is being released.