Expensive Habits

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by skunk, Oct 26, 2004.

1. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A62554-2004Oct25.html

Another bill for all our grandchildren to pay.

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

People, like the suddenly conservative (and not as funny anymore), Dennis Miller don't care. The official response was who cares about our childrens' children, we'll be dead by then. Screw the enviroment/deficit/scientific research/education, we don't want higher taxes right now. He says he was tired of being told how f'ed-up he was, then asked for ~30% of his f'ed-upedness. Personnally, I think it just proves he's a selfish, greedy, sell-out.

Point being, that speaks volumes of the current administration and those who support it. Don't worry about the effects of your actions. Especially the long term effects. As long as it looks good right now.

And if it doesn't, slander those who point out the obviously mistaken thinking.

3. Desertrat macrumors newbie

JFK told us to bear any burden, pay any cost to extend democracy worldwide.

Nowadays, two qestions arise from that: Regardless of cost, is it doable? Should we go to bankruptcy in the effort?

'Rat

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Those would be interesting questions if this was about extending Democracy.

Unfortunately, it is no longer about extending Democracy, if indeed it ever was...it is about getting funding to continue efforts in Iraq, to quell a Civil War that we provoked, if not created,with our ineptitude in policy and execution there. Even Bush has conceded that Democracy is unlikely, at least as we frame it, and most experts forsee varying degrees of chaos for the forseeable future.

As for whether the question posed by you is doable, well, I would have to say "probably". Still, it is more a question of time, than of money or firepower thrown at the issue. You cannot instill Democracy at the point of a gun or on your own timetable.

We are wasting money at best, or digging our own graves with it at worst.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

But--but--I thought all of this was going to be paid from Iraq's oil profits. :rolleyes:

(BTW, I agree with solvs: Dennis Miller has become a crashing, strident bore. Too bad. And he used to be so funny....)

6. skunk thread starter macrumors G4

skunk

It was actually "to assure the survival and the success of liberty". Not quite the same thing, it could be argued.

In answer to your questions, JFK's aims are doable, but probably not by killing and exploitation. Your paraphrase is not doable: nor should it be. Just take a look at the travesty of democracy in your country, and tell me that it's worth killing thousands of innocent people to spread such a system around, whether they have asked you to or not. You don't have to go bankrupt if you are willing to let the world find its own feet.

7. toontra macrumors 6502

I think you'll find a chunk of the oil profits go to private US companies (no-bid contracts), whilst the bill for the military action goes to the US taxpayer.

Surely this couldn't be re-distribution of wealth through the back door!!?.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Quoting JFK on "bearing any burden" is one of this week's GOP talking points, btw. The President is using the line in his stump speeches. It's apparently having the desired affect on the faithful.

9. toontra macrumors 6502

Ah - no wonder Rat's "quote" was not quite accurate ;)

10. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

"bearing any burden" obviously does not include those of responsibility or accountability, it would seem.

Since we are talking about co-opted phrases from past Presidents, here are a few relevant ones:

"Liberty can not be preserved without general knowledge among people." (August 1765) - ADAMS

"An honorable defeat is better than a dishonorable victory."* (September 13, 1844) - FILMORE

"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror." (March 4, 1933) - ROOSELVELT (F)

"America was not built on fear.* America was built on courage, on imagination and an unbeatable determination to do the job at hand."*(January 8, 1947)

"Secrecy and a free, democratic government don't mix." (1974) - TRUMAN (both quotes)

"Evil acts of the past are never rectified by evil acts of the present."*(July 21, 1964) - JOHNSON

oh, in addition, at least five Presidents commented on the ill-advisedness of deficits.

11. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Here's the line as Bush's been using it on the stump this week:

This of course whips his preselected audiences of GOP faithful into a boot-stomping frenzy. The full JFK quote, from his inaugural address:

12. toontra macrumors 6502

This selective quoting reminds me of the advertisers for theatrical musicals who turn a slating from a critic ("biggest pile of crap I've ever seen") into "'Biggest' musical of the year".