Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Experian today announced that one of its business units experienced a serious data breach, with hackers acquiring personal information for approximately 15 million T-Mobile users, as T-Mobile was the Experian client that was affected by the hack.

While credit card information was not obtained, data acquired from T-Mobile includes names, dates of birth, addresses, and Social Security numbers. In some cases, ID like a drivers' license or passport number was acquired, in addition to other information T-Mobile uses for credit assessments.

tmobile.jpg

Consumers who applied for T-Mobile postpaid services between September 1, 2013 and September 16, 2015 were affected. Experian is notifying T-Mobile customers whose data was obtained and offering them two years of credit monitoring and identity protection through ProtectMyID.

T-Mobile CEO John Legere has penned a letter to customers about the breach and on Twitter, Legere says T-Mobile is looking into alternate service protection options that will be implemented shortly.
Obviously I am incredibly angry about this data breach and we will institute a thorough review of our relationship with Experian, but right now my top concern and first focus is assisting any and all consumers affected. I take our customer and prospective customer privacy VERY seriously. This is no small issue for us. I do want to assure our customers that neither T-Mobile's systems nor network were part of this intrusion and this did not involve any payment card numbers or bank account information.
According to Experian, steps have been taken to prevent additional attacks, and there has been no evidence thus far that the data "has been used inappropriately."

Article Link: Experian Hack Affects Millions of T-Mobile Credit Applicants

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Makes you wonder, even in that short period of time, if some people's credit scores were lowered prior to them applying for the AUP. Subsequent denials by Citizens One could be a product of this.

BL.

Reactions: brendu

keysofanxiety

macrumors G3
Nov 23, 2011
This is a real shame and couldn't have come at a worse time, as John Legere and T-Mobile really are trying to positively shape up the industry and IMHO are doing a great job. Regrettably a third-party have got hacked that throws that on its head. Of course the consumers are the real losers in this, but it's sad to see T-Mobile affected, and they will probably get some fairly bad press from this.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
UGH!!! I switched to T-Mobile days before the affected period with my whole family. DAMMIT!!! This is total BS!!! Sorry, I am just super angry right now. Just when I was happy about saving over $100 a month by leaving Verizon.

Reactions: iOSFangirl6001

brendu

Cancelled
Apr 23, 2009
Experian better be providing credit monitoring for every single T-Mobile customer who's credit they pulled. This is unacceptable. Companies like experian that hold all the information needed to steal my identity should have safeguards in place to ensure they can not give that information away and if some data is taken its not possible to take all the parts necessary to ruin someone's credit.

tigres

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2007
Land of the Free-Waiting for Term Limits
Experian, is a piece of **** company. In the credit business, and unprotecting data. So glad in a wink of an eye, you have now "fixed the problem".

So sure you are continuing to sell consumer data to third party marketers, and those mass mail trigger leads. Your company should be fined a 4k per person you put in harms way, just like the CFPB fines banks for similar abuse.

The Fair Credit Reporting act needs to be re-vamped and the Big three need a beat down. TU and Equifax are no better.

Last edited:

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
UGH!!! I switched to T-Mobile days before the affected period with my whole family. DAMMIT!!! This is total BS!!! Sorry, I am just super angry right now. Just when I was happy about saving over $100 a month by leaving Verizon.

I don't blame T-Mobile for this this. I do blame Experian for this. These guys are responsible for managing the personal information of 10s of millions of people (if not more). It better not be the case that their security is lame (i.e. the hackers better be hot s**t) because if it is lame, then there needs to be some serious legal action taken against them. Even criminal action taken against their executives.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
Glad I went the prepaid route and never have this data or went through process.

Not to fault anybody that went postpaid, just like to keep my data controlled when possible.

Lazy

macrumors 6502
May 27, 2003
Silicon Valley
Makes you wonder, even in that short period of time, if some people's credit scores were lowered prior to them applying for the AUP. Subsequent denials by Citizens One could be a product of this.

BL.

Re short period of time, look closer. The time span was two years, not two weeks.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Re short period of time, look closer. The time span was two years, not two weeks.

Good catch. Saw the date, and not the year. That makes this much worse, especially regarding the AUP.

BL.

NikeTalk

macrumors 6502a
Apr 5, 2010
Just like OPM, this breach will grow larger in the coming days and they'll act like they didn't know how many were affected initially.

Reactions: Waxhead138

furi0usbee

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008
If we all really knew how little our information was protected, I think there would be a revolt.

ghost187

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2010
I don't blame T-Mobile for this this. I do blame Experian for this. These guys are responsible for managing the personal information of 10s of millions of people (if not more). It better not be the case that their security is lame (i.e. the hackers better be hot s**t) because if it is lame, then there needs to be some serious legal action taken against them. Even criminal action taken against their executives.

I totally agree, I actually support T-Mobile and what they are trying to do with their un carrier movement, but I'm just angry that I'm one of the people affected.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.