Experience with Craig's List

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by mariahlullaby, Apr 11, 2005.

1. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    I've noticed a lot of members have suggested selling old systems on craigslist.com. Have any of you ever bought from there? I'm very hesitant to send a large amount of money to strangers on that site, but there are some decent deals, too. Is the risk just not worth it? Thanks!
  2. grubber macrumors newbie

Mar 7, 2005
    Craigslist isn't an ebay... think of the classifieds in your newspaper. I've bought and sold things on it and it's no different or more/less dangerous than placing a classified ad (except it's free in most cities). Enjoy!
  3. ericssonboi macrumors 6502

Mar 15, 2005
    Very true... and if you list/buy in your area.. its just added convienence.
  4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2004
    way out in the sticks
    My cousin is renting her current apartment in Philadelphia, which she found on Craig's list. She said the process was a breeze and the all the people she dealt with were honest.
  5. DaveP macrumors 6502

Mar 18, 2005
    I myself have not used craigslist, but I know a number who have. They only problem they had was my sister driving to a woman's house to look at a "like-new" dresser, that had bb holes it. :( Haha. Like has been said, they are just like classifieds.
  6. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    i bought my G4 cube on craigslist way back when. I just went saw it running and wrote the guy a check. it was a breeze.
  7. anotherjeff macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    Craigslist is great as a classified service because you can physically check out the item before you buy it. I've sold and bought too much stuff there, I even found a job too.

I would be hesitant if you are thinking of buying something from someone in a far away city and having them mail it to you.

Ebay would provide better security for a transaction that requires mailing.
  8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    I found my current job and current Mac (G4 Cube) on Craigslist.
  9. Coca-Cola macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2002
  10. Balin64 macrumors 6502a

Jul 23, 2002
    In a Mauve Dream
    I strongly Suggest Craigslist

Consider that eBay takes more time, involves shipping and you run the risk of being scammed. Craigslist items (especially if you live in a larger urban center) usually go within a day, someone comes to pick it up or you take delivery, and you can see the item functioning. Also, there is no obligation.

I have sold and bought several items on craigslist without a single problem.

Also, check out www.freecycle.org. You would be amazed at the amount of vintage Mac stuff people want to give away. A friend of mine who has tons of time has almost a museum of Mac equipment he has received for FREE. If I had the space, and most importantly, the time, I would be scoring free stuff from that site all the time. They of course do it the local way too.
  11. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

Jan 8, 2005
    On the moon.
    I bought my Wallstreet from craigslist, the guy turned it on, as soon as I saw its screen, I handed him the money. :D
  12. mariahlullaby thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2005
    Thanks for all the advice guys :). I'm gonna check that out, and if I don't find anything, I'll just grab me a shiny new one on apple.com. Now if that damn check from eBay would come (which I have a sick feeling never will + I will have to relist), I can switch! I'm actually started to think a new one might be the better deal for the $10 Tiger rebate. But I might still find a Craigslist (though some seem much to be good to be true -- ie a 17 in PB, 1.67 ghz, 100 GB HD for $1200...are these fakes, or stolen? Bells are going off).
  13. SLCentral macrumors regular

Jan 18, 2004
    Princeton, NJ/Ithaca, NY
    I also think Craigslist is probably the best way of selling/buying something, although I would recommend dealing in cash at all times. If a check bounces, chances are you won't be able to find the buyer again, and you'll be stuck, which is why I always use cash.