experience with online electronics dealers?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by andiwm2003, Jan 9, 2005.

1. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

i try to buy a digital camera. it's a sony dsc-t3. it's not officially sold in the us. sony only sells the old dsc-t1 here, but the new model t3 in the rest of the world. :eek:
    there are some online dealers selling international versions of the t3 at very low prices. of course they try to sell you useless overpriced accesories together with it. if you don't buy them they get rude and tell you some s**t about the camera comes without battery or the camera itself is out of stock. you have to order a bundle to get it and so on. :mad:

do you guy's know how to deal with these merchants to get the low price camera?

thanks for your help!

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

Feb 10, 2004
    I don't have any knowledge about that camera or buying overseas items etc, but I will recommend a site called resellerratings.com. You can look up reviews for a ton of online retailers from other customers. That should hopefully get you past the worst scam artist and whatnot. Also, you can leave negative feedback for the places with pushy sales people and unfair sales tactics, and hopefully hurt their business a little, and also keep some other people from being hassled or scammed.

Also, if they are US based resellers, and they tell you it's out of stock after you say you won't buy the extras, or if they say it's a package only deal when the advertisement or website clearly says otherwise, you should tell that the "bait and switch" tactics is expressly an illegal practice in the US and you will be calling the BBB. Better yet tell the supervisor. If they're outside the US then it won't do much good.

Hope you find what you are lookign for!
  3. Norouzi macrumors 6502

Aug 6, 2004
    Philadelphia, PA
    Personally I try to avoid dealing with sales people on the phone as much as possible. I'll order everything online where I'll never have to talk to a salesperson. I actually just bought a case for my iPod. I could only find it instock at everything iPod. I called them to see if it was in stock but declined to order it over the phone and placed my order online. I'd say get any info you need from customer service people, but order online so you can take your time and read over any fine print or avoid them trying to get you to buy 100 extra things you don't need or want.