Experiences with EB Games/GameStop preorders long in advance? [Wii]

Discussion in 'Games' started by BurtonCCC, Aug 26, 2006.

1. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I noticed that the three Wii games that I want are up on EBGames.com and was thinking about just going ahead and ordering them and then the system from the same place when preorders become available. I was just wondering if any of you have ever ordered a game or system long in advance like this through EB Games online and how it worked out for you? Did the game/system ARRIVE on release day or was it SHIPPED on release day? I just kind of want to get all my Wii orders out of the way, spend my Wii fund now, not worry about it anymore, etc. Thanks for any input.

Daniel.

P.S. I'll be ordering Legend Of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Red Steel, and Need For Speed: Carbon. :)

2. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My experience with preordering games from GameStop or EBGames has been very good. They reserve you a copy from the very first batch they receive so nobody gets a copy before yours is ready for you.

So as soon as the game is in stores, it's yours.

3. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Alright, I suppose I'll have to do that then... as soon as my new credit card ships from my stupid wallet that got stolen or lost a few Fridays ago...

Daniel.

4. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

i don't think i've ever actually reserved a game or console. The only time i was worried was on November 9th when Halo 2 came out but luckily my mom stayed home and got it for me :D and for some reason the day the DS Lite came out (i think June 11th) no one at my local BestBuy seemed to care for it so they were overstocked :D

if a game's worth getting, i can wait.

wow. that was off topic wasn't it?

5. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

My experience, on the other hand, has been horrible.

GameStop cheerfully took my money (and interest) for three months for my 360 before telling me 2 DAYS PRIOR to launch that I was screwed. I don't mind that there were 360 shortages but 2 DAYS before launch? Sure, I got my money back, but can I have the interest on it too? (Complained and District Manager never called me back.)

Madden 07...had a pre-pay and then Circuit City has it on sale for $47.99. Turns out EB Games and GameStop don't match competitor prices...EVER.

Guess where I got Madden? That's right, EB Games/GameStop would rather I go to their competitor to pick up a game than match a price and keep me as a customer.

They've one strike left...and I stick by my boycotts. :mad:

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Well not sure how it work stateside but Gamestop in Ireland are a big pile of *****.

They are usually the most expensive, give the least in exchange and have some of the most blissfully igborant 'uneducated about the product' staff I have ever dealt with.

I poped in the other day and said to the girl behind the counter "any news on pre-orders for the wii ? " - her reply "what's a wii ? " my reply " nevermind " i left without saying anymore.

7. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

.........Why would they hire a person at a video game store and not know about the latest video games:confused:........
    but ahahahahhahaah that was funny..

8. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I assume the main reason is because she looked pretty

By that i mean its a total PR propaganda excersise in which its far more appealing to parents going in buying games for junior if they see a nice attractive girl, they have little knowledge so dont have issues with her lack of it. It makes them think, oh well little robbie & jessica are going to turn out alright,

whereas if they hired a 350lb computer game fanatic it makes mummy and daddy with disposable cash think to themselves, oh i dont want them growing up like that and more hesitant about spending the cash....

not that i'm sayine everyone into games is ugly or fat, just that a shop would happily employ a pretty person over a knowledgable person ...

9. jdechko macrumors 68040

I've never had any problems getting preorders from EB Games. But on the side, is your local EB/GS taking Wii Preorders (for the actual console)? Most of the local game stores aren't even bothering with them after the shortages of 360's after everyone preordered them.

10. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

I'm preordering online. I don't really care about ship time. I already preordered Red Steel, Twilight Princess, and Need For Speed. I will preorder the console online when it becomes available.

Daniel.

11. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I've had my Wii on preorder for a few months. I've preordered from EB games before with no probs and always first cab off the rank when the item is in. Ohh how I want my Wii :(

12. BurtonCCC thread starter macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

Nobody I know except for con artists on eBay is taking preorders for the actual console. How'd you swing that?

Daniel.

13. twistedlegato macrumors 65816

twistedlegato

That actully makes sence:rolleyes: :p

14. paddy macrumors 6502a

paddy

A local games shop near me is taking Wii preorders for €25. They ain't con artists to be sure.

15. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Is that a travelling games shop boss? :D

16. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Well I would think EB Games is pretty reputable. I haven't had a prob with them so far.

17. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

I think it depends on the system. As much as it is EBGames' fault over the XBox360, it was microsoft's fault as well for not sending out as many systems. I think that is why they are being extra cautious about the Wii and PS3 pre-orders. Can I order at ebgames.com and pick up at ebgames in the brick and mortar store?

18. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

As long as your game doesnt have any extra with it, ie key chains, art books, sound tracks for preorder, you will be okay. Its been know on gamefaqs.com that the people in EB/Gamestop TAKE the pre order items and sells them to video game fans on ebay.