Experiences with Macs and the Nokia 3650?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jfruh, Mar 16, 2004.

1. jfruh macrumors member

Hello all-

After some advice in this forum and elsewhere, I'm considering getting a Nokia 3650 phone. However, I wanted to ask a few questions about it before I shell out -- it's remarkable how difficult it can be to find specific information about phone features on line?

1) I've heard that some phones (particularly the Sony Ericsson models that are otherwise so popular) don't support iCal's all-day events, and only syncs with phone numbers, not mailing addresses, from Address Book. Does the 3650 work with all-day events and non-phone number data?

2) How easy is it to download games and other simple programs and put them on the phone via iSync or some other Mac-based process? Often the mechanism for doing this is Windows only.

Thanks in advance -- any other endorsements or complaints about this phone would be welcome.

jf

2. meta-ghost macrumors regular

i have it and isync regularly. all day events and addresses sync fine. while i haven't installed games, i have installed a lot of software and have not had a problem. it's a great phone if you need some pda type functions.

3. jfruh thread starter macrumors member

thanks for the info!

how does the process of installing programs work? i was looking at the phone's user guide (you can download it from the nokia site) and there are no mac instructions.

jf

4. sulka macrumors newbie

Mostly works?

I have a 3650. I haven't checked the synchronization of all-day events but at least synching non-phonenumber data works fantastically. All email addresses etc are copied, including the contact icons! If you use the phone's camera to shoot pictures of people and assign them to contacts in the phone, the pics will appear in Address book the next time you synch.

Very easy, you use the Bluetooth file copy software. I have the Frodo commodore 64 emulator and a bunch of other software on my phone. You need the bluetooth connection in your mac but after that everything is very easy.

5. powerbookje macrumors member

powerbookje

sony Ericsson is the way to go IMO.
    it is correct all day events are not synced, nor email adresses, but it is easy to fix. I have a P900 myself and realy love it, great PDA/phone combo, and with Salling clicker it is soooo cool!!

nokia hates mac, so ****'em

6. slowtreme macrumors 6502

Slowtreme rates this review pointless. Zero stars.

7. TheT macrumors 6502

You do realise that you have no real arguments against Nokia?
    In my opinion, Nokia's Symbain OS is the best cell phone GUI ever... I own a 3650, and besides the P800/900, it is the phone that works best (on a mac). iSync is great, file transfer easy (files will be in your SMS inbox, programs can be installed from there) and regarding Salling Clicker... there's a program called "Romeo" that basically does the same thing on the 3650

8. meta-ghost macrumors regular

did i read where romeo was just updated to work with symbian os phones?

btw, my all day events do indeed sync as well as email addresses. i have no idea what the other post is refering to.

9. danbirchall macrumors member

I have almost a year's experience with this combination!

Here's some actual information.

I've had a Nokia 3650 since April of 2003 - yes, almost a year. I've paired it at various times with a couple G3 iBooks using a Belkin F8T003 (or some part number like that ;) USB Bluetooth dongle, and also with my Power Mac G5 - I sprung for the built-in Bluetooth option.

Overall it's worked pretty well. My phone firmware is an older version and a little flakey so the calendar gripes about iSync... but the calendar crashes on me all the time even without iSync. ;) I've been able to download applications and ringtones (really just MIDI files) to my Mac and send them to the phone without problems, and I routinely zap images and video from the phone to the Mac, where recent versions of QuickTime support 3GPP video and all that stuff.

The circular number pad took a little getting used to, but it's harder to hit the wrong number when each key is only next to a couple others (versus as many as 8 others on a regular pad).

Unfortunately, the 3650's status as a 900/1800/1900MHz "world" phone hasn't meshed well with my (ATT) carrier's decision to (after selling me the phone) deploy the bulk of their GSM network at 850MHz, with 1900Mhz only available in major population centers. I'm hoping to upgrade to the recently-announced 3620, which is very similar to a 3650, but with 850/1900Mhz capability instead... and a "normal" keypad. The Nokia 6620, due out later this year, looks like it'll also have similar capabilities, but in a slightly different form factor.

I will note that for the latter portion of the time I used OS X 10.3.2, I couldn't quite seem to get Bluetooth to behave with my 3650. However, the Bluetooth setup process in 10.3.3 is greatly simplified, and having just put 10.3.3 on my Power Mac, I once again have it paired happily with my 3650.

10. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

I too have the 3650 and couldn't be happier.
    It synchs up just fine via bluetooth for iCal, Adress Book, and exchanging files.
    The picture quality is decent (about what you'd expect from a phone, I suppose)...and easy to e-mail as well (just as long as you don't mind typing on the odd keyface).
    The games that come installed are pathetic...but who needs them when there's GoBoy- a full featured GameBoy emulator that works perfectly.
    I've had limited luck with Veta- a program that synchs with your computer...lets you control the mouse, DVDPlayer, iTunes, and puts your computer to sleep when the phone goes out of range/wakes it up for you when the phone returns.
    Enjoyed installing new ringtones as well... not just midi files...but ANY wav file can be turned into one... possibilities are endless.

Decent coverage with my provider (T-Mobile)- or at least no worse then anyone else's coverage... a dead zone is still a dead zone...

I can't praise it enough- and would happily answer any other questions you may have.

11. TheT macrumors 6502

Well, I have a question there :) I use Romeo/VetaUniversal as well, but never heard of the sleep/wake-up feature... wouldn't the Bluetooth module sleep to, making it impossible to wake the computer up again? Please explain :)

12. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Oops, my mistake.... not sleep - screensaver with password.

13. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I use my 3650 all the time with iSync, and occasionally for file transfers. No problems since few at the very beginning (back in Panther days).

Also, I'm a T-mobile customer (with t-zones Pro), and I've been able to use Bluetooth with my old Powerbook to access the phone as a GPRS modem, which costs me nothing in terms of minutes and still gives me ~20kbs access. Yeah, it's slow - but not bad for free, and was very nice in Sedona, AZ, while we were hiking in the middle of nowhere. It took a while to get it set up, but it works great.

*edit* I love the 3650, BTW, among other reasons because I like the fact that it has a memory card and can send video messages with audio. Yeah, the keypad's goofy (the new ones provide a standard one), but I really like it. I got it for free: $150 off new T-mobile account, $150 off Amazon discount. Sony's are nice, but this is a fantastic free phone.