Experiences with Migration Assistant from PowerPC -> Intel Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mduser63, Jun 10, 2006.

1. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I'm going to be buying a new iMac this coming week :D. Anyway, as my main machine now is my 12" PowerBook, including my iTunes and iPhoto libraries, all my web design stuff, etc., I'd really like to be able to use the Migration Assistant to transfer everything over. I'm just wondering if people are running into any problems migrating from a PowerPC machine to an Intel machine. I figure Apple has thought it through well and it will "just work," but I want to make sure.

If it matters, my PowerBook is running 10.4.6 with all the latest updates. Many of the apps on it are Universal, but even more are not.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

First off, I don't have any experience but all the same, I'd manually reinstall all the apps. The documents, music, photos and some settings should be fine though. :)

3. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

I used Migration Assistant to go from my old iBook G3 to my MBP. I let it copy my Home directory and all programs that didn't require an installer, which was just Office2004 actually.

It worked out great. :)

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

i find their tends to be complications, if you use the same username/password you can just copy the music and photo's directories over and into your new home directory and that works great, and do everything elce manually.

5. isgoed macrumors 6502

When I bought mu macmini I used migration to copy my user settings from my powerbook G4 10.3.9 to transfer over firewire to macmini 10.4.5.

It worked absolutely fabolous.

It even copied my desktop image, plugins, iTunes library, dock, preferences, internet bookmarks and internet cache.

Two problems I had:
    You may have to reset your password if you migrate from systems before 10.3.9.
    iPhoto had to rebuild the photo library (takes about 10 minutes)

6. CTU Kyoto macrumors member

CTU Kyoto

I'm going to be migrating an iBook G3 system running 10.4.6 to a MacBook next week.

I was thinking of moving all my current apps into a folder called something like Applications (iBook) or Applications (Old) before I use Migration Assistant.

Would this let me use Migration Assistant on the MacBook to copy over my Home folder and Library/System contents, fill the now-empty Applications folder with a "clean install" of the MacBook's apps, and leave my old apps in place, with their preferences all installed in the Library and ready to use as before? Or will moving the apps cause problems, e.g. having Safari and other default apps in two different folders at once?]

Maybe I should leave the default apps in place and let them get overwritten by the MacBook install? I have iLife '05 so I definitely want it to be replaced with '06, but as far as everything else goes I've already upgraded to the latest version of the OS so all the Apple applications are already Universal Binaries.

Any advice?

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

iMac G5 to intel Mac Mini, work great but some main Apps like System Prefs were still PPC, so i nad to delete it and the x86/PPC took over for it

8. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

Well, I got my iMac yesterday, and used the Migration Assistant. I'm not sure if it's because of the Migration Assistant or not, but I'm having some trouble. Mail won't connect to any of my accounts, and I can't connect to MSN or AIM using any IM client. Otherwise things have worked OK.

EDIT: I fixed my connection problems. They had nothing to do with the migration assistant. Safari crashes a lot, and the whole system beachballs a lot more than my PowerBook, but otherwise everything's OK. Hopefully the extra GB of RAM I've got coming will help the beachballs.

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

On the same topic I just did migration assistance today from an iBook to a mbp was wondering is it safe to delete the System Folder (from old Mac) folder?

10. mduser63 thread starter macrumors 68040

mduser63

I hadn't noticed that. It looks to be Classic stuff at least on my machine, and as Classic doesn't work on Intel Macs, it can probably be safely deleted.

11. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Turns out it wont let me deleted it so I just clean install and only movied my network stuff, and my user name info and savea grip of space aroung 6gigs