experiences with multi-vitamins

Discussion in 'Community' started by acidrock, Aug 10, 2004.

1. acidrock macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    The Evergreen State College
    hey everyone, Since I've been working in the MRI lab this summer, I'm taking a multi vitamins from Trader Joes, the Trader Darwins brand. It's a multi vitamins & mineral antioxidant. I've notced a lot of changes happening from it. They seem to be helping me with stress, helping me process my emotions and thoughts better, and I"m now making a lot less typos in my emails etc. There are some other things too. I was wondering if people could share their experiences with vitamins in general, and what they think of them, because some of the other reaction I am having to them do not feel right. I consolted a Doctor at Evergreen who is sponsoring my internship and she said that it could be working a lot better becasue my diet has improved so much and I just started to take them. I've been making more money, so can spend more on food. Anyway please share your experiences. -nathan
  2. emw macrumors G4

Aug 2, 2004
    Good thing you're on those vitamins, my friend, I'd hate to read your message before you reduced those typos! :D

Really, I'm just kidding. I've been taking some vitamins lately with Green Tea extract. One-a-day or some such (my wife buys them). I haven't noticed much about attention span or stress, but my metabolism seems to be hyped up a bit.

I try to stay away from too many of the herbal deals, just because I haven't seen too much in the way of research on them. Not that it isn't there, so much as I've just been too lazy to look it up.

You may also notice reduced stress if you're "making more money" and can get good food, or if you like you're new job at the lab.

My thought is that many so-called "remedies" end up being as much mental as anything. If you expect to feel better, you probably talk yourself into it.

In terms of other reactions that don't feel right - you may want to check the ingredients against known sensitivities or allergies. For example, my vitamins say that caffeine-sensitive people should avoid them.
  3. mouchoir macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2004
    London, UK
    ahem. ;)

If you know you aren't getting a balanced diet, then vitamins are good to fill in the gaps.

Strangely, I feel much better now I drink more water on a daily basis. Most people I know don't drink enough, but after two litres a day, I feel more awake, happier and my skin is much better.

And it is nice and affordable!
  4. wdlove macrumors P6

Oct 20, 2002
    The most important item is to eat a well balanced diet. Eating plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables. It is important to get 6 - 8 glasses of fluids a day. Some of you feelings can be a placebo effect. As you mentioned that you are eating better.
  5. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

Nov 20, 2002
    I'm trying to adopt an all around healthier lifestyle.

I'm looking into multivitamins and diet plans. I'll look into the ones you are taking.

I quit drinking sodas, and replaced them with water and/or cranberry juice. CranApple is really good as well. Its unbelievable how much better I've felt since cutting sodas out. I have more energy, and I don't feel as loaded down. I really don't know how to describe it other than I just feel better in an all around sort of way.
  6. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    hi I wanted to explain that I've had some trouble sleeping over the last few weeks. I had written the earlier post early in the morning after only getting a few nights of sleep. My diet has improved a lot, and I am cooking a lot better than I ever have. Also I am drinking a lot of water, and OJ in the morning. I was actually concerned becasue it seemed like I was going to the bathroom a lot more than usual, but I knew that was because I was drinking more water. Plus I am eating fruit every day. I have never taken a multi -vitamin before and so I had no idea it would be this helpful.
  7. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    hi First off thanks for all the advise everyone. I wanted to recommened to you Mike that you show the vitamins to your doctor first. My doctor said they were very good, but these vitamins do have minerals in them etc. When I started to take them, the bottle said you could take two, but because I had tried vitamins before I wanted to take one, to not overload my system. I found that helped enough until I started to get under more stress. I am on two now and it is continuing to help. I consulted my aunt though first and she recommended that you do it 8 hours apart so I take one in the morning and one around 3/4PM. I'm hoping I'll only have to take two temporarily.

bestwishes guys, I"ll check tomorrow if you have more advise and I'll be in a little more but will return consistantly in the fall. My internship is going well and the doctor I'm working with has been so wonderful, but I miss having my mac! -nathan
  8. Dros macrumors 6502

Jun 25, 2003
    Taking two multivitamins a day is overkill. Unless you are eating only cardboard, you most likely have plenty of almost all vitamins. It can't hurt to take a daily supplement, but rather than increasing your dosage your time and money would be better spent buying more fruit, salads, and moderating sugar intake. It sounds like you have made a good start. Eat a healthy breakfast, reduce your snacking, get your fluids, and you will feel a huge pick-me-up just from that.
  9. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2004
    Since I was a kid, I've been taking these Vita-Minis. They are kids vitamin tablets, and you are probably wondering why I still take them.

Well, if I take one within half an hour of going to sleep, I will ALWAYS have some seriously ****ed up dreams/nightmares. They are really engaging, and I take the oppertunity, to take control of the dream, and do what ever I like. Like buy a G5, and then burn down microsoft. I once dreamed that I owned an entire mall, and I got to use everything in it... (I'm not kidding, I really had that dream)
  10. acidrock thread starter macrumors 6502

Jan 30, 2004
    hey earlier I had realized I am also not eating as much protien as I used to but I am eating more veggies. Do you think this could be contributing to any of the changes? I have eaten some but over the past few years have been cutting it out of my diet. Though I have nothing against meat, I just can't handle large quantities of it. -n