Experts: World Facing Diabetes Catastrophe

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by eyelikeart, Aug 26, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I promise I'm not obsessed with health issues this week. ;)

However, this is a serious problem we're facing. Anyone who's lost someone or knows someone with who suffers from this disgusting disease... :(

story here

2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

3. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Well, that's certainly a happy article....but it is interesting to note that the rise in diabetes seems to be related to the quality of food and obesity.

Drink your wine, eat healthy and exercise - keep the weight off and you have a better chance of avoiding it.

It is scary sometimes going out and seeing all those really overweight people.

D

4. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I hate to sound preachy, but it's reasons such as this that I'm so adamant about physical fitness & maintaining a healthy lifestyle. I felt it was better to get into good habits early on, and they will benefit u in the future.

It's sad to know that our society & the way we've "evolved" is causing more problems than progress. :(

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

We've been through low cal, low salt, low cholesterol, high fiber, low fat, and are now looking at bad fats and low carbohydrates.

Though I may have missed a mojor food trend or two from the last 25 years. :rolleyes:

None of these trends has been about changing your diet, but a quick fix that can be bought on the shelf.

Something is wrong with the American diet that's leading to obesity and diabetes, and it's doubtful that the solution can be found be found in a pill or following the major food marketing trend.

Diabetes has been on an increase, and it looks like it'll get worse.

---

Look's like we're in for some nasty commercial weather -- low carb beer and the new Subway low carb salad menu. :rolleyes:

6. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Sue the fast food companies! Sue big tobacco! Anything but blame ourselves!

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

ah, but that's exactly it - we're not willing to take responsibility and easily blame everyone else.

Its all moderation - but the problem is so endemic to our society where huge tracks of food are laid out for us, high calorie, cheap and easily available. Go to McDonald's and get a supervalue meal and have enough calories to last you the whole day.....but then go and have snacks and other meals on top of that and of course you're going to get overwieght....

D

8. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I don't think that you are obsessed with health issues eyelikeart. It is admirable that a young person would be conscious of their health. Very true that starting to live heathy at a young age will lead to a longer happy life.

Diabetes is a devastating disease, I know from first hand as a nurse. Those that get Type I (insulin dependent or childhood), have no choice in the matter. Type II (non insulin dependent or adulthood), can often be prevented. The main cause is obesity, eating too much and not enough exercise. A pill is not the answer.

Diet and exercise needs to be taught in the school!

9. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Sue the supermarkets, not the fast food companies. If there is nowhere warnings that the abuse of food (eating too much, too junk, or any eating disordered behaviour) is bad for you, I really wonder why no obese have sued Jewel for selling him junk. There's nowhere in there mentions about eating 30 jars of peanut butter a day potentially being bad for you.

This diabetes thing is about the adult form. Which is common among the fat elderly. Keep yourself healthy, fit and in not too high weight and you are less likely to get that (and avoid too sugary things). The more the people get older .. and fatter, the more normal it is there are more adult diabetes patients. Force the people to exercise! You don't need the cad to go somewhere 200 feet from home.

Another thing not addressed in tthe juvenile diabetes. Tehorically you can't do a lot about it. In practise most places where the juvenile diabetes (and osteoporosis too) are frequent, use A LOT of dairy products. Make the kids drink a lot of cow's milk so they can have healthy bones .. and nobody makes the connection about increased allergy rates, juvenile diabetes, (and even osteopososis; e.g. in Scandinavia the average calcium intake / person / day is 1300 mg; in India it's around 300-400 mg. In India there are far less osteoporosis and bone problems, thus drinking the cows milk on adult population does not have the effect it according to the milk industry advertising has), ear infections etc etc and the milk. Human babies need human milk, cow babies need cow milk. Adults don't. There are a lot of other sources for the older-than-infants for the calcium; sesam and sunflower seeds (really high), almonds etc, vegetarian 'milks', dark green vegetables, cabbage...

I was forced to drink milk as kid. So were my parents. Despite all family, especially on dad's side, being extremely allergic to milk (allergic, AND poorly lactose digesting).

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

The difference between fast food and tobacco is that no one has ever pretended that fast food is anything but cheap, greasy and fattening--whereas the tobacco companies went to great length to cover up the fact that their product not only causes cancer, but is highly addictive. McDonald's has the nutrition information posted right there on their wall--the tobacco companies publicly maintained for years, in the face of growing independent scientific evidence to the contrary, that tobacco wasn't at all harmful.

Of course, no smoker today would win one of those lawsuits, because any idiot should reasonably be expected to know that the stuff can kill you, just as any idiot should be aware of the fact that fast food is not healthy food.

11. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

Yeah that was what I meant in my previous quote. Just seems that people are so irrisponsible today. I say if they want to smoke or eat tons of bad food then let them! But they shouldn't come crying later about their medical bills.

Just my 2 cents

12. TMay macrumors 68000