Expired .mac == AppleId iCloud issues with account

Discussion in 'iCloud and Apple Services' started by dammitjanet@gma, Oct 13, 2011.

1. macrumors member

I had .mac a long time ago, and its expired. I never upgraded to mobileMe either and my My AppleId is my .mac email address and always has been.

Accessing iCloud via Web Browser has the correct emaill address, a .me address and I can send and receive email to the address.

However when setting up iCloud on iOS5 it's trying to use my original @mac.com address and failing and there does not appear to be any way to change it on the iPhone.

I checked my AplleDi acct and saw that there were three email addresses, my main email address, the expired .mac address, and the new .me address.

I removed the .mac address but still can't get my iPhone to use the proper email address.

2. macrumors demi-god

I know people can transition old, expired .Me accounts over to iCloud, but I don't know about .Mac accounts that were expired. Did you try logging into iCloud on your phone with your expired mac account name @me.com ?

3. macrumors member

matthew

yes I can, its an issue with how iCloud integration has set up on the iPhone, not an issue with iCloud itself.

4. macrumors newbie

Having the exact same problem. Didn't find this thread earlier, so I posted a longer explanation of my problem (which I now see is exactly the same as yours), in this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1249125

If I do end up springing for an iPhone 4S, I will call iCloud Support and post the resolution here, but if I don't, then there appears to be no way to contact Apple without paying for a support incident. Do me a favor and do the same if you qualify for a free support call. :)

Apple publicly supports transitioning an expired .Mac address to iCloud:

from http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4436

Unfortunately, that support seems to incur the wrath of this bug...

5. macrumors newbie

After a few more minutes of messing around with it, I think I solved it.

Delete your iCloud account from your iPhone. Then re-add it, but rather than using your @mac.com Apple ID, use your newly-created @me.com address.

The iCloud account will still show up as your old @mac.com address (which freaked me out at first), but if you tap the "Account" field and then the "Mail" field, you'll see your new @me.com address displayed in the email address field (grayed out and unmodifiable, but that's now OK! :D).

And I was even able to successfully re-enable iCloud Backup...after a few tries and an arduous wait...