Explain Motion & Shake to me.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LeeTom, Aug 11, 2004.

1. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Hey,
    I'm consider myself very computer-savvy, and have used Final Cut Pro and DVD Studio Pro before, and am very familiar with what they do.
    But I'm not a huge video guy, and I'm wondering if you all can explain to me why I would want Motion and Shake. What does each one do?

Thanks!
    Lee Tom

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

3. LeeTom thread starter macrumors 68000

LeeTom

Yeah, looking at Apple's page doesn't really do it for me, thanks though...

Lee Tom

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Took the QT tours and all?

But you're looking for practical, hands-on, no BS, from someome..

5. saunders45 macrumors 6502a

saunders45

first off....

You aren't gonna use shake. We have it at my work (for commercials and such) and i have to say that it is one of the most complicated programs i've ever seen. However that said, you can do a bunch of freakin cool things. For instance, the tracking feature is just freakin awsome. Also, you can pull perfect keys with not much trouble. However, it takes a loooong time just to get used to the interface as it is not like final cut, DVD studio or any others.

But, if you plan to work on The Hobbit for Peter Jackson(Shake was used for a majority of the compositing, color, and other special effects shots in the Lord of the Rings Movies) then go for it. Just dont expect to pick it up and run with it. Oh and it's kinda expensive.

As for motion, since none of us have used it, we can't exactly teel you how it is. We did order it, and are awaiting our copy. but from what i have read and seen from the videos(look at the on'es on apple's motion page) it looks like it could save some time for certain projects. I guess the real question is, how many options are there for the effects, It could be really great, or it could suck. We'll see in the next few weeks.