Explain the new lyrics functionality to me

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Astral Cars, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Astral Cars macrumors regular

So, I know lyrics can be added to songs now, but is there a place where you can get iTunes to display it, like the way it displays the album art. Or is there a way you can look at them on your iPod somehow. I like the feature and have been waiting for it for awhile, but I'm not sure I see how it's going to be implemented. Explain it to me.

2. jonat8 macrumors regular

Well you can view them in iTunes of course OR on the iPod nano (other 'pods might in future with a firmware update).

Check out Apple support article number 302244 for info on viewing them on the Nano.

3. Astral Cars thread starter macrumors regular

How do you view them in iTunes other than hitting "get info" and going to the lyrics tab?
    Also, do you think there will be the ability to search lyrics with spotlight or in iTunes? That would be cool.

4. jared_kipe macrumors 68030

jared_kipe

"Seems to me that maybe pretty much always means no." -Flake, by Jack Johnson

5. ZoomZoomZoom macrumors 6502a

ZoomZoomZoom

The lyrics idea was good, but it's unrefined. Three of my biggest problems:

1) If you idle your nano too long, it switches back to the original Now Playing screen. This is annoying, because you have to keep scrolling every few seconds to make sure it doesn't "snap back." (If anyone knows how to remedy this, I'd be very very appreciative.)
    2) Adding lyrics to all your music is very annoying, and definately not fun at all. Even if you use an applescript, such as PearLyrics, you'll get spelling errors and lyrics for the wrong songs.
    3) The lyrics don't look very good on the ipod anyways. You can't see in iTunes how the text wraps. If you could, then you can insert a return here and there to where you want your "stanzas." As it is, I keep the phrases as short as possible, so I don't get ugly wrapping.

I'd like to have problems 1 and 3 addressed. #3 shouldn't be too hard, and #1 is a very important fix. Not sure how'd they address #2, but having lyrics on your ipod probably won't catch on for people with 10,000+ songs. Spending days to type in lyrics is not a good idea, but having incorrect lyrics is pretty dumb, too.