Explanation of System Services found under Location Services?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cfairbank, Oct 17, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

Curious if anyone can explain the functions df some of the settings found under the advanced tab of Location services.

Items include, Cell Network Search, Diagnostics and Usage, and Time Zone Settings. If I turn these functions off will my 4s have limited usage but conserve battery and vice versa? Never noticed these settings on my 4 so wanted to now what settings to use to best conserve my battery without crippling the phone.

Thanks in advance.

2. thread starter macrumors 6502

3. macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I have iAds location OFF and Diagnostics & Usage OFF. I really don't know what the others are for so I left them on.

4. thread starter macrumors 6502

I turned off the same and included the setting time zone and traffic. Would like to know what exactly the cell network search does.

5. macrumors 6502a

forza69

It's probably what helps the phone switch between antennas to get the best reception.

6. macrumors 6502

I'd like an explanation of what each one is as well.

7. macrumors 68000

I actually find it a little sneaky of Apple to not provide a clear explanation AND to set the status bar icon to OFF as a default. They clearly want to track certain data from us (I'll give them the benefit of the doubt that it's all done anonymously) and to avoid criticism give us the ability, buried in a setting two layers deep, to turn off that tracking. But they leave it on as a default and hide the off button.

8. macrumors regular

Another poster found that the compass calibration is used to determine true north from magnetic north.

9. macrumors newbie

That was me. I am now trying to figure out what "Mobile Network Search" is. On my iPhone 4 it said "Cell Network Search" but my 4s says "Mobile Network Search".

10. macrumors regular

from the batterygate thread:

if you're wanting to see when you're actually using the locator, turn it 'on' at the bottom of system services

11. macrumors 6502

Someone has to know what each one means and can run through them for us with a brief description. Anybody care to help us out?

12. macrumors 68000

JRoDDz

I know what the traffic one does. It tracks you as you are traveling and sends speed and location info for traffic purposes back to Apple.

13. macrumors 68030

ET iPhone Home

14. macrumors newbie

I'd be really interested to know what these mean too ...

Diagnostics & usage

Location based IAds

Mobile Network Search

15. SR45, Jan 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2012

macrumors 65832

SR45

16. macrumors newbie

17. macrumors 65832

SR45

The difference: One will be set up as (british english) and the other as (american english)