Explicit Tag For Non ITMS Songs

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kzlambert, Oct 4, 2006.

1. kzlambert macrumors member

kzlambert

Hey Guys, Is there a way to allocate an 'explicit tag' to songs you have uploaded from CD etc.. They only appear from purchased ITMS songs. Hope its not something simple I have over looked..:eek:

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Atomic Parseley can handle this, though probably only for AAC encoded files and not MP3.

http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/

B

3. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Honestly curious...

...why would someone WANT to put an "explicit" tag on their songs? ;)

And while I'm thinking of it, is there a way to make a smart playlist of explicit music? :D

4. irregardless macrumors member

From what I can tell, that attribute is defined by XML when the song/podcast is loaded into iTunes, either from an RSS feed or from the iTunes Store itself. My guess is that it's stored in the iTunes Library file (and mirrored in the iTunes Music Library.xml file).

This line is from the RSS feed for the Wordpress podcast:
    This line is from iTunes Music Library.xml file entry for that same Wordpress podcast:
    Since there is no way to edit the iTunes Library file outside of iTunes itself, there's no way to manually set a file as "explicit" or "clean."

5. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

There is most definitely a tag for this in the M4A/M4V file itself. I have tagged files with this attribute with Lostify.

EDIT: According to Atomic Parsley it's the rtng (Rating/Advisory) tag. http://atomicparsley.sourceforge.net/mpeg-4files.html

B