Export EyeTV to iPod... get a Quad G5!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dops7107, Jan 5, 2006.

1. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2005
    Perth, Oztrailya
    So my latest toy is the Elgato EyeTV for DTT. Nice piece of kit, and thankfully the included aerial does the trick for me. Been playing around with recordings, and on the latest software revision (1.8.4) you can export in H.264 for playback on the video iPod.

But wowee... I made a 2 minute clip and it took over 10 minutes to encode halfway :eek: at which point I gave up because I wanted to watch a TV prog :rolleyes: - but man, that is slow. Imagine encoding a full movie! Hunt for Red October is on tonight but I think it will need 24 hours to do! This is on a 1.25 Ghz Mac mini, no beast for sure, but I had no idea the maths was so intense. I may try encoding in MPEG-4, which should be faster.

Just thought I'd share... :rolleyes:
  2. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

Feb 27, 2005
    Northern California
    Encoding in H.264 is a very slow process, but the quality is worth it. I recently tried editing on my Dad's powerbook,and I feel your pain. The single G4 takes forever to render and encode. Jsut turn it on right befoe you go to bed. That's what I did.
  3. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

Sep 8, 2002
    The Netherlands
    Yeah, that's what I do on my Dual 1.8 G5... :rolleyes:
    A one hour TV show takes about 3 hours on my Mac.
  4. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    I'm at the stage where I just leave it overnight, or if I go out for a lecture or whatever.
  5. doucy2 macrumors 65816

Jul 7, 2005
    how long do you think it would take on a quad g5?

you think that would significantly boost its speed?