Exporting Anamorphic Video Issues

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Benjamindaines, Jan 14, 2007.

1. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

I have just started shooting in anamorphic and I can edit it just fine in FCP, but when I go to export via compressor (or even making a straight quicktime file) it will only come out as 720 x 480 which is squished. Any idea how to fix this?

2. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

You can try exporting at around 854*480 to make a 16:9 QT movie.

Lethal

3. Benjamindaines thread starter macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

That did it, just manually put the size into compressor. It still seems a little strange that it wouldn't put the 16:9 footage to compressor in the first place..

4. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

I had exactly the same issues.

Apple still doesn't quite "get it" when it comes to aspect ratios.

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I think the reason for that is 854*480 isn't a video standard and Compressor is mainly designed to be used for video applications. For example, if you were using Compressor to make an MPEG2 for DVD you would want to keep it anamorphic to accommodate both 16:9 and 4:3 TV owners (DVD players can be set to output the anamorphic image or a letterboxed image). The only time I think 854*480 would come in handy is for web delivery.

Lethal

6. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

No, Apple "gets" aspect ratio issues just fine. QuickTime just doesn't notice the aspect ratio flag set in DV/MPEG-2 files. All DVD assets (and source DV assets) that are 16:9 are 720 x 480 in frame size. They're just squeezed down to 4:3 or stretched out to 16:9 after the fact.

7. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Yes, but the problem is to get your videos to be stretched out again after exporting.

8. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Well, if you just want to WATCH them stretched, just go into the Movie's properties, and then into the Visual Settings for the video track and adjust the movie's size there. Turn on high quality and deinterlace too, for interlaced DV footage, to get the best image. That way you can watch at the highest quality on your computer, and still have a file that meets standards for compressing onto a DVD.

9. tk421 macrumors 6502a

They do "get it." Anamorphic is, by definition, squished! That's how DVD's that are widescreen look, and if you're going to DVD SP then that's how you want it to be. It's unsquished by the player or TV. Even movies that are shot with anamorphic lenses look squished if you were to look at the negative. This is pretty normal operating procedures.

10. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

again, this may work after you make your DVD, but it does not work when you play that file on your computer, and, more importantly, it stays squished on sites like YouTube, and for me, and a lot of other video editors, that is the main means of sharing.

We do not have the resources to duplicate DVD's.

I think it wouldn't even work on Apple TV

11. bigbossbmb macrumors 68000

bigbossbmb

If you want the footage letterboxed for youtube or something, then nest your anamorphic sequence into a non-anamorphic sequence. Then just export that new sequence.

If you want just a widescreen quicktime movie file to post online or whatever, then just manually set the resolution (854x480 as Lethal said) while export.

Not that difficult...Apple definitely 'gets' aspect ratio...

12. tk421 macrumors 6502a

Yes, it would work with Apple TV. It's formatted for widescreen TVs (which are anamorphic).

13. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

that's what worries me. Quicktime and iTunes see your 16:9 video as a 4:3 one. So, they will just add black borders on the side to fill the screen.

It's like playing them full screen on my widescreen Macbook.