Exporting from iMovie

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by 2Cheap2Switch, Jul 18, 2006.

1. 2Cheap2Switch macrumors member

I'm doing the dvd's for my wrestling team, and I have all of the video captured into iMovie, except my only issue is what should I do for exporting? I exported out to a quicktime movie with some advanced settings, but the file size is way too large. Each video is roughly 6 minutes, and I want the video quality to be pretty good while maintaining a low file size. Any tips or options for what I should do?

2. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

iDVD should squeeze your videos onto a DVD, how many videos do you have? 6 minutes is nothing..Let iDVD do the work..

3. eRondeau macrumors 6502a

eRondeau

I have been happy with CD-ROM output option from iMovie. A reasonable tradeoff in my opinion.

4. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

Each video is about 6 minutes, except each member of my team has about 20-25 matches.

5. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Don't export. Like FF_productions said, send it to iDVD. Instead of File > Export, head over to Share > iDVD and let iDVD do the heaviest lifting. Since you're creating a DVD anyways (presumably to be played on a regular DVD player), your vids will have to be encoded for DVD. Let iMovie pass it's media files to iDVD for that job.

6. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

So - how many minutes of video in total?

7. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

6 min x 20 matches = 120 minutes....per team memeber...how many team members?

Sounds like each team member needs their own DVD.

Unless you have DVD Studio Pro, you are not going to get much more than that on each disk.

Now for the team, you could do a highlights video of everyones best slams or pins or escapes.

8. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

The only problem left is that I don't have the mini dv tapes anymore, just the huge video files. Each tape is of a duel, so I have to export out everyones matches or else I would've had one very huge iMovie file, so what I want to do is import the big video files into iMovie and then re-export them out to iDVD, except now the only problem is that the video has these really strange lines whenever they play.

9. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The lines u see is interlacing, an annoying thing you will see with digital footage, I don't feel like getting technical.

2 ways you can do this, Have seperate DVD's of the meets, or have separate dvd's of every individual wrestler's matches.

10. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

Were's Lethal when you need him...

Ok, did you export them from iMovie in the first place? And if so, at what quality, DV?

How many of these 6 minute files do you have?

11. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

I exported out to quicktime movie already. When I try and put the files into iDVD, the first issue is size as not all of the matches can fit on it. The second issue is that when I do burn a dvd with the matches, the videos have these weird lines whenever there is movement.

12. FF_productions macrumors 68030

FF_productions

The wierd lines are the interlacing that I mentioned before. Your going to have to split this DVD into several parts. Wouldn't it be easier if you just burned a dvd of each meet, possible squeeze 2 meets into one DVD?

13. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

Is there any way to reduce or even completely get rid of the interlacing in the video?

14. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

are you looking at the video on a computer monitor or a TV?

If you are looking at it on a computer monitor try a TV, it may not be as bad as you think.

15. rjphoto macrumors 6502a

rjphoto

A Quicktime movie can have many different qualities...which one did you use?

You may have exported at a low resolution or compression that jsut can't be overcome with out a re-edit of the original footage...I know, you don't have the tapes any more. so, back up a step. Do you still have the original footage on you hard drive?

16. 2Cheap2Switch thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I do have the original footage on my hard drive. I am having some luck with ffmpegx though.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I haven't used iDVD for some time. Does it have Two Pass VBR and adjustable Target Rating features for encoding? If so, you shouldn't lose much quality. Otherwise, you might try Exporting from QTP to MPEG-2 to burn.

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Wanting to end his life as the new show he's working on is slowly sucking his will to live. :D

Anyway, ya'll seem to be helping out the OP just fine.

xsedrinam,
    A possible problem w/using another app to encode the footage into MPEG-2 is that, IIRC, iDVD will not burn MPEG-2 files that it didn't create.

2Cheap2Switch,
    Don't worry about the interlacing unless you are planning for these DVDs to only be played back on a computer. When you play the DVD on a TV you shouldn't see the lines anymore. If you put the footage thru a de-interlacing filter you'll lose image quality so you don't want to do that unless you have to.

Lethal