Exporting Question iMovie

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by coopdog, Feb 22, 2003.

1. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Oct 5, 2002
    The Great Midwest
    I resently made a sweet movie for school, we had 2 hours of video, I edited it down to 21 min. I only have 500mb left on my HD so I want to delete the iMovie file. I have already exported it back to my school's DVcam for our presentation. I want to burn a copy of my movie to a CD so a QT Video file under 700mb. Well I exported it to QT under the CD-Rom file size in iMovie. The QT movie is only about 100mb and not that great quality. The next biggest exporting option is Full DV. Will that mean the Full DV QT movie will be as big as the imovie project? Maybe I could export it as full DV to my 10 gig HD then code it to divx to make it under 700mb? Any imput would be great! Thanks!
  2. timbloom macrumors 6502a

Jan 19, 2002
    In the exporting window, select options. There you will see a video bitrate, try bumping that up and it should improve the quality, there are a lot more options there that you should play with and learn what they do. It should solve your problems.
  3. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    Instead of going through the whole process of EXPORTING then coding it for DIVX, you could play around with EXPORT SETTINGS,

in terms of
    -SCREEN SIZE (640x480, 480x360, etc)
    -QUALITY (Low, Medium, High or Thousands of Colors, Millions of Colors, etc)
    -FRAME RATE (29.97, 24, 15, etc)
    -COMPRESSION (Animation, Cinepak, Sorenson, etc)
    -Audio (44.1kHz w/ 16bit, 22.05kHz w/ 8bit)

Personally, I would try
    Millions of Colors
    24 FPS
    Sorenson 3
    44.1kHz 16bit.
    and go from there.

You could play with these settings to see which combination will give you the movie with decent quality and still fit onto a CD.

1 minute of DV movie is around 200 Mb, by the way.