exporting quicktime video

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by pnz999, Mar 1, 2003.

1. pnz999 macrumors member

Nov 6, 2002
    I have created some home video capture from a miniDV camera, I just finish editing it in FCP/Premiere but the film size is to larger.

I want to compress the video files for archieving it into a CD/DVD @ full res. 720 x 480 @ 29 FPS.

which codec to use to import as a *.mov file:

Planar RGB
    Sorenson Video
    Sorenson Video 3
    MPEG-4 Video
    Motion JPEG B
    Motion JPEG A
  2. nixd2001 macrumors regular

Aug 21, 2002
    Re: exporting quicktime video

Surely to import into iDVD you want to keep it in DV format and let iDVD convert down to MPEG2?

Or are you looking to "fork off" a seperate verson, independent of laying it down to DVD? Without having much info to backup my comment up, I'd say go for MPEG-4. But others may have a different impression.

Either way, remember that as soon as you re-encode with a different codec, you are throwing information away and hence creating a version that you (ideally) don't want to be editing or converting again.
  3. macphoria macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2002
    If you want to compress your movie to fit into a CD, I recommend either Cinepak or Sorenson 3. Cinepak will give you the smallest file size, but image quality is poor. Sorenson 3 will give you small file size and good image quality.

If you have SuperDrive, then you could make a DVD using iDVD. To do that, as nixd2001 mentioned, you want to export it in NTSC DV format (720x480, 29.97 fps).
  4. gerror macrumors 6502

Oct 25, 2001
    For a cd I would say Sorenson. Cinepak is better if it's a cartoon or something.