Exporting the audio only from mpeg 1 ?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by DangerDiabolik, Nov 22, 2003.

1. DangerDiabolik macrumors member

So...

I want to make a concert dvd from some mpeg1 files.

i cant import them into idvd or final cut.

so in quicktime pro i exported the file to a DV stream. PERFECT !...but no audio.

I look to enable the tracks and I see that the original file is a muxed file, Im assuming thats why i cant turn off the audio or video. If I disable the one track in the file the sound and video dissapear.

My Q: Is there a way to export the audio only from mpeg 1 files ? Maybe with a different app ?

I tried importing with quicktime the file into sound studio, but its said it wasnt a valid formatt

my only solution i can think of now...is play the quicktime with my line out into my line in and literally re-record the audio track in sound studio ...but that will be ANNOYING !lol

Im hoping someone here will know how to just extract the audio from the file.

( hope that was clear enough )

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: Exporting the audio only from mpeg 1 ?

you need to "demux" the file

Try:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/14618

3. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

You can also export an .aiff file from QuickTime pro, that'll give you the separate file to import as the demuxed audio/video.

If you're planning to go to DVD, you'll need 48Khz audio, not 44.1Khz, make sure you set this in the export options in QT.

4. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

Thanks all !

Now i just need to read the dvdpro tutorial !

- M

5. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

UPDATE !

SO I used demux and it worked great , but with the audio only track it will only let me export it as a hinted movie or quicktiem media link.

isnt there anyway to export it as an Aiff or something that I can bring into Final Cut ?

- M

6. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

I'm not sure about Demux, but QuickTime will let you export as an aiff direct from the original MPEG file, as I said earlier.

Cleaner or FCP's Compressor app will also do this job, but things are starting to get a bit expensive now...;)

7. King Cobra macrumors 603

So far you've downloaded and used bbDEMUX, which is a great beginning. :D

Now rename the .m1a file to .mp3 by changing the extention at the end of the file name. You can deliver the file as an AIFF to DVD Studio Pro by first converting it in iTunes or Quicktime.

Wintermute, the initial problem is that Quicktime disallows exporting audio from a strictly MPEG-1 video, Pro (Registered) or not. (I'm not too sure about the technical reason as to why, something about packet separation I've read elsewhere on the boards) That's why you need bbDEMUX to extract the audio (and video if desired) first, then convert.

EDIT: Found the technical reason, and only 365.7 days old. Check out e-coil's post in the following thread:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=14698

8. DangerDiabolik thread starter macrumors member

THANKS KING !

That did the trick.

Demux > re-name AUD to .mp3 > mp3 - AIFF

Worked...Now i gotta just learn the ins and outs of aspect ratios and such

9. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Thanks for that King Cobra, it clears up an issue I've had occasionally, as to why some MPEG 1 files would export as aiff's from QT pro and some wouldn't, I have to say I tend to use Cleaner or Compressor now, and ProTools will also import audio from a movie as an aiff, which then is a doddle to edit and re-export.

There's always a way around these things isn't there?:D