Exporting using NFS Manager

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pcogan, Mar 27, 2007.

1. pcogan macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2007
    I've just added a new 10TB raid to a new XServe. I can see the raid, read and write to it etc. Now I want to allow other machines (other XServes and linux boxes) to access the raid, so I want to NFS export using NFS Manager. When I try to activate the NFS server, I get a message saying : RPC (Remote Procedure Call) Port Mapper Not Active. So, I guess I need to activate this RPC thing, which I after a little digging, I believe is called sunrpc. Anybody any ideas how to activate sunrpc - or check its status etc?

thanks for readinga and help.
  2. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    You need to make sure portmap is running.

BTW - we're getting an XServe at work soon. You're not seriously telling me the thing doesn't have built in software to configure NFS exports are you? Christ.
  3. pcogan thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2007
    actually it does! I'm just very slowly figuring things out :)
  4. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

Feb 18, 2004
    Wilmington, DE
    If you don't feel like digging through the PDF link above, NFS Manager is only required when you want to export NFS shares from a Mac OS X Client machine, not Mac OS X Server.

Mac OS X Server has facilities built into the Workgroup Manager and the Server Admin applications to make setting up NFS Exports and network Auto-Mounts simple.
  5. dr_lha macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Good to know, I had a mild panic attack there thinking I was going to have to tell my network admin that not everything had a nice UI on the XServe.
  6. pcogan thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 14, 2007
    oops sorry for giving you a fright - maybe you won't be so quick to take the word of a newbie next time ;)

seriously though, thanks for the links - I might be coming back with more questions so I'd be most appreciative if you'd keep an eye on the threads