Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I have just thought of a new feature for Mac OS X. At least I think it is new. I hereby give to Apple all of my rights to this idea, and I hope they will implement it.

When I hit F10 to apply Exposé to all windows of an application, I would like to be able to make those window sizes and positions stick. I'd press another key or click somewhere, Exposé would end, and the windows would remain in the new positions and sizes that had been shown by Exposé. Their content would return to normal size (no longer scaled), but the windows would remain as Exposé displayed them. I call this feature "Exposé and Stay."

For example, I have 5 TextEdit windows open. I'm going to do some editing and will need to switch back and forth among them, but TextEdit doesn't happen to have a "Window>Tile" menu choice. Since Exposé already has a tiling algorithm, I'd like to use it to rearrange my TextEdit windows. So I should be able to press a key or click something on the menu bar or in the Exposé display to do this.

This would work only for windows that resize and reposition by the usual Finder techniques, which is almost all windows in almost all apps. After all, why shouldn't window tiling be a function of the Finder, by default, for all applications?

This feature could work for F9 (all windows) too, but would be less useful to me, since my usual 15 to 20 windows would end up too small. But there's no reason not to extend the Exposé and Stay feature to F9 as well, for those who would use it in that way.

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
nice! I love Expose`, keep em coming...

I have a hot corner setup for it, I use it every time I switch apps, a quick swipe of the trackpad to the corner, bingo bango... next app please.

I like your idea

L

Lau

Mmm, this sounds rather fab.

I would imagine that people using larger screen resolutions would be seeing the windows in Expose roughly the same size as on my 12" iBook, so why not make them editable!

Cybix

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2006
Western Australia
cool'o, wait till this thread gets really long, with "i really like this idea", THEN throw it at apple!

be sure to delete really random posts before sending however! (such as this one)

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
Wouldn't Window > Tile [keystroke: Apple+something] in any app be easier? In particular, I can never remember exactly which functions each of the Dashboard & Expose settings perform :)o) but I can always remember Apple+Q is quit. That's just me, though. And whether it's a function of the Finder or hard-wired into every app won't make a difference to me.

Arne

macrumors regular
May 14, 2006
Germany
I would also like it, if I could drag a file into a Finder-Windows while I am in Expose. Now I have to 'take' the file, hit F9, point to the Windows I want to drag it into, wait until it comes to the front, and then I can drop the item (a file mostly). This could have been done better. Just drop it to the scaled Windows would be faster and easier.

jupiter

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2006
The Lake District, England
What I've always wanted in Expose is the ability to close a highlighted window, does this feature already exist? I would find it really useful when trying to quickly get rid of unwanted windows.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
What I've always wanted in Expose is the ability to close a highlighted window, does this feature already exist? I would find it really useful when trying to quickly get rid of unwanted windows.
No, that's not a feature, but in theory they could add closing and quitting to the Exposé display. You might get the "Do you want to save changes" prompt, which would presumably have to be in its full size.

mkrishnan: Thanks, but my ideas aren't always clever, which is why I have to ask you guys what you think. The "Vitamin C Eraser" that I invented, for people who chew on their pencils, never caught on. :(

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I like the idea. Submit it to Apple, it took a bit to get me to understand it, but its quite creative and innovative.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.