Exposé: Convince Me...

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Datazoid, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Datazoid macrumors regular

May 10, 2002
    I've had Panther since the day it came out, and although I like it, I have not found Exposé to be the "window management revolution" that everybody says it is. Now, yes, the "show desktop" feature is nice, and I do use it often, but Windows 98 had that, and it was something I missed on OS X until now. Every now and then I use the other features of Exposé to drag and drop things to a window hidden underneath everything else. For the most part, though, I find I use cmd-tab (again, a feature which has a windows counterpart) for switching between programs. This does not mean I am uninterested in Exposé, on the contrary, I want to be convinced of its usefulness, because right now I cannot seem to integrate it into my daily activities, for the most part...but I want to like it, I really do! So convince me, please! I want to be a part of this revolution!
  2. the future macrumors 6502a

Jul 17, 2002
    1. Get a 5 button mouse from Logitech.
    2. Apply Exposé functions to 3 of the buttons.
    3. Welcome to the Real Exposé Experience™!
  3. RichP macrumors 68000

Jun 30, 2003
    Motor City
    or the other option is to set up hot corners for all expose functions; personally, i find expose cumbersome using the keyboard commands.
  4. jrv3034 macrumors 6502a

Oct 23, 2002
    Absolutely. I'm using the Logitech MX500, and with exposé it simply rocks. Without even thinking about it, I just press a button on my mouse with my thumb and voilá, there's all my windows! I don't like using the keyboard; it takes too much effort.;)
  5. spaz macrumors member

Aug 18, 2003
    san francisco, ca
    dude, if you have to be "convinced" that Expose rules, maybe it's not the feature for you. do you ever have more than 2 windows open? do you ever need to get something on your desktop that's buried beneath a bunch of windows? do you ever need to find the one browser window with the info you want to see? i use Expose all the time, and it's a feature i definitely don't know how i live without. i work on my PC at work and am constantly frustrated that i can't instantly clear the desktop or see all my windows.
  6. etoiles macrumors 6502a

Jun 12, 2002
    Where the air is crisp
    I find it extremely useful to navigate through open images in Photoshop, for example: move cursor to screencorner and bam - have all images on screen at once and can pick the one I want to work with/paste into etc.
  7. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Cmd-tab lets you switch between applications, but I often have many windows open for a single app. Exposé lets me go straight to the window of interest.

And, of course, you can impress your friends as I do with the blob effect and the slow motion effect.
  8. Flowbee macrumors 68030

Dec 27, 2002
    Alameda, CA
    Re: Exposé: Convince Me...

The usefullness of Expose depends on the way you work on your computer.

If you're a former windows user, and you're used to working with only one or two applications open at a time. Or if you just use your computer for email, itunes, and web browsing, then Expose is of limited value. Cmd-tab works just as well.

But if you need several applications running with multiple windows each, and you need to switch between windows quickly, Expose is a godsend.

For example, building even a simple web page might require that I have Dreamweaver, Word, Fireworks, and Photoshop all running. Often times I need to copy blocks of text from Word docs and html pages into a new html page, adjusting graphics files as I build the page. This might require having 6 or more windows open in different applications at any one time. Cmd-tab might get me to the app I want, but not necessarily to the window I need.

Expose is most useful when switching between multiple windows in multiple apps.
  9. astray macrumors member

May 9, 2003
    I have to agree..its all about the way you work..but heres an idea. Try changing the way your work so you dont worry about desk clutter. Open that extra window, have multiple word documents open. Dont worry about multiple finders and browser windows, expose allows the best way to access all these and manage them.
    I myself was a little hesitant at first..not really using expose except to show off to my friends. But im finding it really useful for my uni work where i have Safari, 2 word docs an excel spreadsheet, Mail.app and sometimes Photoshop open as part of my essay/experiment write up process. Before Expose i would have just kept the Word and Safari window open but now im zooming between open docs and the desktop and being fairly productive.

10. rueyeet macrumors 65816

Jun 10, 2003
    Y'know, you are all absolutely right....As a longtime Windows person accustomed to not opening too many apps at once, and cleaning up windows as I go, Expose isn't going to be a big part of my computing habits until I let loose and get messy (which, given my personality, isn't likely anytime soon).

Heck, I don't even have enough window clutter to need Cmd-tab. :eek:

I can see Expose being indispensable to those who customarily keep many windows of many apps open, though.
  11. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It's funny; I've found my biggest hindrance to using Expose has been remembering to use it when I need it--I keep heading to the Window menu by reflex instead of tapping that wonderfully simple button on my MX500.

I guess I'm in the same boat of "old habits die hard".
  12. evolu macrumors regular

Dec 10, 2002
    LA la land...
    You know, I love exposé but rarely use it. Over time I've developed a window management strategy based on option clicking out of a program (to automatically hide it). So I'm in safari now, I option click the desktop, safari disappears. I command tab to whatever program I'm in need of, and open that up (and so on).

Granted, still waiting to buy a multi button trackball - things will change then I'm sure.
  13. David Lundgren macrumors member

Nov 26, 2003
    Albany, NY
    When I saw Expose at first I thought it had a lot of Gee Whiz appeal, but wondered how much I'd use it.

The answer: all the time. I usually have a couple of Filemaker windows open, 3 Servoy windows (Design, Methods and Help), Mail, various web windows, often Quickbooks, iChat, who knows! Expose is the greatest thing in the world to hit F9 and immediately find the window you want to work with. It's become a regular part of my day.

Maybe not for everyone, but I love it.
  14. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

Oct 24, 2003
    Tucson AZ
    The first time I used Jaguar after getting used to Panther, I realized how much I now rely on Expose and the Finder Sidebar.
    (my daughter's iMac is running Jaguar)

It's really become an integral part of how I work with my Mac now.
  15. joshuajestelle macrumors regular

Mar 3, 2003
    San Francisco, CA
    I want to re-emphesize "the future's" post, because Exposé really shines when you use a 5 button mouse.

When I'm at the keyboard alt-tab tends to do the trick and I rarely need Exposé. But when I'm doing things mostly with the mouse, like browsing the web, drawing diagrams, etc. and while having a 5 button mouse I use Exposé all the time.

I'm using Microsoft's Bluetooth Intellimouse, which is a great mouse if you have a Powerbook or iBook with built-in bluetooth. You basically get a wireless mouse that you don't need anything but the mouse and your computer to use. Its one downside is it has no off button. It does auto-off after a while.

16. Dale Sorel macrumors 6502a

Dale Sorel

Jan 12, 2003
    Even with a multi-button mouse, the corners rock for dragging things between windows or the desktop :)
  17. tj2001 macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2003
    Florida - USA
    Curious as to which you choose in personal preference? I now use a standard Apple Pro KB and Mouse and would like further control. I was looking at the Logi MX Duo and the Kensington sets.
  18. Makosuke macrumors 603

Aug 15, 2001
    The Cool Part of CA, USA
    It's all about the MX500 (or 700/900 if you like wireless/bluetooth)--nice shape, buttons out the wazoo, etc.

I'm still a little torn about how to set up the buttons to do everything I want, though, so I wonder if any other MX500 owners have any suggestions.

Since I've started clicking on the dock to bring all windows of an application forward instead of using ASM to force that behavior, I'd rather have the "app switch" button emulate command tab, so I don't have to go all the way down to the dock.

But, I currently had that button set to Expose's all window mode, the down scroll button to all windows from the current app, and the up scroll to show desktop. I probably use show desktop the least, so I maybe I should set it to a corner, or just use the keyboard. I guess I could use the scroll click, but I have that on clicklock now for the occasional times I use it.

How do other people do this?
  19. sethypoo macrumors 68000

Oct 8, 2003
    Sacramento, CA, USA
    Wow. Are we getting lazy or what?:(

Just to add: I use hot corners, no 5 button mouse for me.
  20. Noiseboy macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2002
    Lurking nearby.
    Yep, it's hot corners for me too, you have to hold down the function key on new PB's to use f9 and f10 (screen dimming control is on these) so while it's great to actually find a use for the function key, hot corner is the speedy approach.
  21. David Lundgren macrumors member

Nov 26, 2003
    Albany, NY
    Not on mine.... 15" PB the dimming is on F1 and F2, f8 and up are clear except for the Expose functions on 8 through 11.
  22. Noiseboy macrumors regular

Dec 25, 2002
    Lurking nearby.
    You're refering to the regular screen brightness controls, on the new 15 and 17 inch Albooks the automatic screen dimming and keyboard illumination is set on f9 and f10 so to use Expose you have to hit the function key at the same time.
  23. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Jun 7, 2002

Did you ever have to evaluate several photos (using Photoshop, obviously) to decide which one to use for a certain task? Well, in Photoshop 7 and higher, there's this counterfunctionality that requires you to go two menu-levels deep to just see a totally non-descriptive menu of all the open windows. (I mean, DSCF0001.JPG up to DSCF0038.JPG doesn't mean a lot, now does it?)

With Expose, you just hit the button (be in on your keyboard or on your mouse) and - BANG! - you see all open Photoshop windows in one instance. Not only handy to select which one to use next, but also an ultimate time-saver when used instead of zooming all the photos out and tiling all the windows. If you use it (some way) like that, it's indispensible!

:eek: :rolleyes: :) ;) :p :D :p :cool:

Expose rocks, I love it to death already and it's NOT just eyecandy; it's way more than that. In fact, my need for the 'Windows' menu item is gone now. Heck, even CMD-TAB is used less now...

[EDIT: Edited for spelling.]
  24. David Lundgren macrumors member

Nov 26, 2003
    Albany, NY
    <<You're refering to the regular screen brightness controls, on the new 15 and 17 inch Albooks the automatic screen dimming and keyboard illumination is set on f9 and f10 so to use Expose you have to hit the function key at the same time>>

This is interesting, and I think I see the difference. My new 15" Albook does not have the illuminated keyboard... F9 and above are single function, and Expose works by just clicking the usual f9, 10 or 11 key. The keyboard stuff must use those keys on Pbooks so equipped.

25. Chappers macrumors 68020

Aug 12, 2003
    At home
    minimize in place

I'm still using Jaguar and have Minimize in place and Reveal desktop and like them very much. Tried Expose on a G5 and liked the feature, however can you expand just one window when you click on it or do they all open?