Exposé Slower on 10.4??

Discussion in 'macOS' started by MBHockey, Apr 29, 2005.

1. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I've noticed that Exposé on Tiger seems much choppier...less fluid like it was on Panther. Anyone else noticing this?

NB: This is not because of Spotlight indexing my hard disk...that was done a while ago.

------------------------
    Clean install of 10.4
    1GHz PowerBook G4
    1GB ram
    ATI 9000 64 MB
    No external displays connected
    Nothing eating up CPU in Activity Monitor/650+ MB of ram free

2. ldburroughs macrumors 6502

Everything seems snappier on my system. Dashboard/Expose both seem to run just fine with everything and its mother running in the background. I'm running an 1GHz, G4 iBook with 768 ram. Nothing fancy but everything is running really well, actually faster than I thought it would. I'm very pleased with the performance but don't see any real benefit beyond spotlight and dashboard. The other 198 features seem pretty meaningless on my system, but I'd pay for the performance update by itself. I'm sorry to hear you are not have the same good fortune with your system.

3. slb macrumors 6502

Tiger is snappier for me too on my Mac mini 1.42ghz. But reading this thread, I checked out Expose, and yes, it is slightly choppy even though it was smooth on Panther. The genie effect when minimizing windows has also become choppy. Odd. I wonder why?

4. QFace macrumors member

QFace

I agree... some things are snappier, but exposé is certainly not... it is much choppier. I've noticed it is choppy if I use it while Dashboard is enabled.

Damn you dashboard.

5. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

My whole system's running much smoother now apart from Expose. I've got no idea why, but your right, it does seem a little choppier. :( It's not all that bad though, but in Panther it was instant.

6. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

My iMac seemed to be doing the same, just a little on the choppy side for Expose and Genie effect, then I did a restart just for the heck of it, and it is better now. I have no idea why. The scrolling is much smoother then Panther. Very nice.

7. powerbook911 macrumors 68040

powerbook911

Expose little sluggish here too, while the rest of the system is better.

8. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Interesting...thanks for the posts guys.

People on other forums suspect that it's just a 10.4.0 quartz bug that is affecting our systems, and will probably be resolved soon. I hope that proves to be the answer.

9. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

All Tiger animations were very, very choppy on my eMac. Scrolling webpages, expose, genie animation, even the dock magnify animation was choppy! It was so unbearable I had to go back to Panther. I don't know whats up, but I hope it gets fixed soon :(

10. ksz macrumors 68000

I had a similar problem so I ran Activity Monitor to show all running processes (by default it will show current-user processes) and sorted the list by %CPU. A rogue VShield...<something> process was taxing the CPU (65-85%). Someone posted that all virus checkers fail with Tiger. After killing the process, everything was fine.

11. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

12. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

I noticed that yesterday. I thought maybe it had to do with Core Image offloading the expose effect to my video card (Nvidia Go 5200)?

13. TigerPRO macrumors 6502

I was on a Mac mini at the Apple store yesterday, and I noticed that exposé was significanlty more choppy than on my older 1Ghz iMac. But I assumed it was probably because it had a 20" Apple display hooked up to it.

14. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Very odd. I've just sat and pressed my Exposé buttons several times and mine still seems instantaneous and non-choppy. I don't notice any difference between Panther or Tiger's exposé at all. My whole Finder and windows drawing/closing in general seem to be faster.
    My graphics card is CI supported and I've got lots of RAM so perhaps that's what's taking care of it.

15. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

my friend who has 10.4 said expose is choppy and slow. I also noticed it at the store last night and today. Mac Minis being the choppiest and slowest. I probably did something as I got a kernel panic while messing around with a Mac mini at the store shhhhhhhh. But it rebooted fine but i walked away after that... :eek:

16. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I notice no difference at all. In fact, to test it out, I opened all my applications and used expose; it was still perfectly smooth. I don't know what gives. I just have a lowly G4.

17. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah i don't know what gives either...when i have only two or three windows open, expose is fast, but any more than that, it is noticeable choppier...and this never happened with Panther.

18. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

It is definitely slower on my iBook (as below).

19. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

not slow on the computer in my sig, nor when dashboard is up on my desktop either, everything seems a bit quicker here

20. iBunny macrumors 65816

Exact same as it was for me in Panther.

I wrote zeros to my hard drive, then Clean Installed Panther, Then iLife 05. If that helps.

on my iBook 1.33 / 768 / Radeon 9200 32 MB

21. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I wonder if any of this has to do with the moving of Quartz 2D over to the GPU.

22. Jigglelicious macrumors 6502

Jigglelicious

Quartz 2D Extreme is NOT currently activated in Tiger, so that can't be it.

23. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

24. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Hey Hockey :)

Nope, I still don't see any Exposé slow down, but I do see some clunkiness with the login window. My login picture moving to the password phase is not smooth at all.. anyone else notice this?

25. MBHockey thread starter macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Hey Yellow!...that transition you speak of is fine on my computer...but the expose slow down with more than 2-3 windows is still apparent...hopefully all these things are just bugs, and will be worked out in the first update

Side note: Anyone know after how long the 10.3.1 update was released after the original Panther release?