Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
TotalSpaces is a few days from 1.0 release, beta testing 0.9.9 now between Lion and Mountain Lion. It is FANTASTIC! Works exactly as Spaces did prior to Lion. Some screen shots attached. I use dual displays, support for dual displays is coming in the 1.0 release as well as other features.

Wow! This seems really good, how come heard much more about ReSpaces App, which is totally buggy? This seems like they're taking things seriously!

Too bad you now have to pay for something that used to be free though...

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Wow! This seems really good, how come heard much more about ReSpaces App, which is totally buggy? This seems like they're taking things seriously!

Too bad you now have to pay for something that used to be free though...

Be careful, I updated to the latest version this morning, 0.9.9.1 or such, and Mountain Lion's Dock began crashing in an infinite loop. My Mac Pro was useless. I uninstalled it (carefully) and removed any remnants of TotalSpaces, fixed permissions, searched any remaining files in system folders, reset PRAM. Nada. Had to "Time Machine" back to before the update. Using 0.9.9 works perfectly, the only change to the current version is something about not being told to enter a license as it's still beta. I reported the crash logs to the developer.

(oh, and ReSpaceApp is TotalSpaces now, if that's what you meant, same app just bought by BinaryAge, same company that makes TotalFinder, sorry if I mentioned that already)

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Be careful, I updated to the latest version this morning, 0.9.9.1 or such, and Mountain Lion's Dock began crashing in an infinite loop. My Mac Pro was useless. I uninstalled it (carefully) and removed any remnants of TotalSpaces, fixed permissions, searched any remaining files in system folders, reset PRAM. Nada. Had to "Time Machine" back to before the update. Using 0.9.9 works perfectly, the only change to the current version is something about not being told to enter a license as it's still beta. I reported the crash logs to the developer.

(oh, and ReSpaceApp is TotalSpaces now, if that's what you meant, same app just bought by BinaryAge, same company that makes TotalFinder, sorry if I mentioned that already)

Hmm okay then, sounds like this IS the very buggy app that I heard about then :D Not going to install it soon then…

I don't like how the "bird's eye view" is on an overlay, instead of the way it used to be in Snow Leopard, i.e. that it zooms out to make room for every space, making it very smooth and obvious which one is your space (as you can follow it through with your eye).

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Hmm okay then, sounds like this IS the very buggy app that I heard about then :D Not going to install it soon then…

I don't like how the "bird's eye view" is on an overlay, instead of the way it used to be in Snow Leopard, i.e. that it zooms out to make room for every space, making it very smooth and obvious which one is your space (as you can follow it through with your eye).

Oh I recommend it, this is the only time I've had an issue with it and I assume it is related (I wasn't able to fully examine my crash logs to determine what exactly was causing the Dock to crash over and over). There wasn't any direct reference to TotalSpaces in the crash log (although it may have modified a system file, I do not know 100%), and was hard as the error window kept popping up re: Dock crashing making use impossible. Yet it only started occurring after I updated to the latest version. I have version 0.9.9 that works 100% in 10.7.4 and 10.8 DP3.1 if you'd like, I can send it email or dropbox (got it direct from Stephen, not available on BinaryAge). The full retail release should be available soon.

I actually don't mind the overlay versus complete change in desktop when called up. I rather prefer it as I still have the same functionality as pervious Spaces while seeing my display desktops in a HUD interface. All that's left is dual display implementation :)

LeandrodaFL

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
I almost cried when I looked at TotalSpaces page. Finally the grid back, and most likely, the functionality of Snow Leopard's Expose/Spaces combo.

Now I can consider upgrading my hardware someday.

Qustion. Can I configure buttons to activate Expose/Spaces with Total Space, besides the corners?

For example, I have the lower-right corner for show desktop, and F3 to show all windows Expose, and F5 to spaces. and pressing F5 and F3 gives the complete view of everything in your Mac. Can this be done with totalspace?

Cowicide

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Agreed. Such a shame Apple made this blunder. Except for running Lion on a external drive for testing purposes, I completely skipped Lion because of this blunder and have been continuing to run Snow Leopard instead. It made me join others to petition Adobe to bring Creative Suite to run natively in Ubuntu Linux so I could switch away from Mac.

One of the worst blunders Apple ever made. I haven't skipped a Mac OS since I've started using it in Mac OS 7 days. The blunder is THAT BAD.

Expose is THE REASON I downgraded from Lion to Snow Leopard, and will continue to be the reason I may not upgrade to Mountain Lion despite it having some cool features. Expose is the MOST IMPORTANT feature for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.