Expose fn Key on powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by arcobb, Feb 4, 2006.

1. arcobb macrumors regular

I just got a 15-inch powerbook and the default setting is to adjust the backlight on the keyboard. To use expose you have to press the "fn" key:rolleyes: . Is it possible to switch the function so when you press the f9 and f10 key the default is expose and you would press the fn key to adjust the light on the keyboard? Thanks!

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try System Preferences -> KB & Mouse -> Keyboard tab -> and then toggle the button that says "Use the F1-F12..." (i.e. if it is now checked, uncheck it, and vice versa).

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

in the lower-left hand corner of your PowerBook's keyboard, press the FN key and then the F9 and F10 keys will work properly.

On my 15" powerbook, I just enabled hot corners. It's sooo much easier than FN-F9 or fn-F10

4. arcobb thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! That did the trick! I know have to press the fn key to adjust the volume and stuff... but I don't use those nearly as much as I use expose! So this is much better!

I which there was a way you could control each key individually... But I guess sometimes you can't have your cake and eat it to!

5. nrd macrumors member

You can always switch the keys used for Expose in System Preferences > Dashboard & Expose.

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I was going to say this too, but you can't set them to be a combination of Fn- and the Fxx keys... On the iBook, the setup is that F1-F5 handle brightness and volume (without Fn-), F6 is num lock, F9-F11 is Exposé, and F12 is by default Dashboard and the eject key. But if you set F8 to be Dashboard instead, then you're pretty much at the point where you can get everything you want without ever having to use the Fn-Fxx combinations. I guess it's harder on the PBooks that have more of these kinds of things (there're no keyboard backlight keys, or output source change keys, on iBooks).

7. arcobb thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah... I looked in there... you can change the key used or combinations, but I don't think you can specify if fn is the default mode. Its either all hardware functions (screen brightness... etc) as the default or f1, f2 as the default. You can't have a mix of them. Its not perfect... but it works. What I'd really like is the volume, screen brightness and expose all set so you don't have to use the fn key and have the keyboard brightness set to use the fn key as I use expose way more then the keyboard brightness. But as I said eariler useing pressing fn for the volume and screen brightness is not that big of a deal as I dont mess with them much. I guess I'm just an expose junky! Thanks!