Expose instead of keyboard backlight control

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by w00tmaster, May 7, 2005.

1. w00tmaster macrumors regular

Hi all, I just purchased a new powerbook to replace my old iBook. I love it except for one thing, now F8-F10 control the keyboard backlight instead of expose. I almost never use that light, but I use expose all the time. Naturally I can push Fn-f9/10 to get expose, but it's annoying to have to press 2 buttons when I never use the feature that I get with 1 button.

Any help would be appreciated.

2. andrewfee macrumors 6502

Open up System Preferences, and go to the Keyboard & Mouse section.

On the Keyboard tab, there's an option halfway down that changes this:

"Use the F1-F12 keys to control software features"

Hope that helps. :)

3. w00tmaster thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, I mean to say this in my original, I would still like to control the volume and brightness with one key...this is really frustrating. If I use the keys to control software features, I can no longer adjust the volume with 1 keypress. Boy am I lazy :p

4. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

I feel your pain. I still control the volume with the buttons and I can still do exposé without clicking anything at all-- I just activated hot corners to do it for me. After about 3 days of it, it's second nature, just like how reacing for F9 was. I hope this helps! :D

5. matticus008 macrumors 68040

matticus008

I'd have to agree with Katie. I chose to move Exposé to F11 and F12 and use hotcorners for Dashboard and the third Exposé function. I've found that I rarely use the "application windows" one, but use the "desktop" and "all windows" ones all the time and have them set to F11 and F12. I activate Dashboard with the Dock icon (since you need the mouse to manipulate the Dashboard widgets, I've found this *much* faster than a shortcut key anyway).

Since the third function is rarely used, having it as a screen corner works great for me. Pressing Fn+F10 wouldn't kill me either. You just have to pick your favorites for the two free function keys :).

6. Skiniftz macrumors 6502

Bump. :( Mapping F-keys to software is no good - I want single key access to brightness, volume and expose (on F9 and F10 like my other Macs I'm used to). Who cares about backlight brightness over expose?