Expose on my macbook? need help.

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mojo67821, May 24, 2006.

1. Mojo67821 macrumors regular

Hi guys, you'll have to excuse me if this is a dumb question, but I'm a new mac user and I just learned about expose yesterday. I tried to search for the answer but didn't get anything.

According to apple's website, f9 and f10 are supposed to control expose functions. One tiles all windows and the other tiles all windows in an app (not sure which is which). Only problem is on my mbp15 they don't do those things. f11 does work, which exposes my desktop so i can get to it easily. These two buttons don't do anything though... and they both have symbols on them that almost look like little rising suns. Not backlight buttons but perhaps keyboard light buttons?

Does anyone know what I'm dong wrong?

2. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

try pressing the function key (fn) at the same time...

if you end up using expose a lot (as I do), you may want to remap the key combos to make it more efficient.

3. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

and you do this by going to System Preferences>Dashboard & Expose and then modify the keyboard shortcuts.

If you go into System Preferences>Keyboard & Mouse under the keyboard tab there is an option to control the "f" keys. Mine is un-checked and just pressing F9 and F10, etc. works for me.

4. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. The function key does work. And right after I posted I went inspecting and found the options under system preferences.

What do the f9 and f10 keys do under default conditions? When I hit them the icon comes up on the screen (similar to the volume one) but it looks like it has a disabled symbol or something (the no smoking circle with slash through it). Just curious as to what these little buggers are supposed to do.

This expose stuff is a perfect example of how much cooler and user friendly Mac's are than window's machines. And this is coming from a lifelong windows user. If I can eventually get all of my windows apps onto the mac side of my mbp I can't see myself ever going back.

5. Scottyk9 macrumors 6502a

1st thing you should do - read the manual (or, as some may say RTFM)

the f9 and f10 keys control the brightness of the illuminated keyboard (which only turns on in low ambient light conditions)

6. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

boo! screw the function keys! It's all about hot corners folks!

My f9 tiles ALL apps, while f10 tiles just windows within an app.

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

Yes, they control the brightness of the illuminated keyboard. But they are only active if you have the lighted keyboard set to come on and it's actually dark enough for it to have come on.

8. Mojo67821 thread starter macrumors regular

Ah, makes sense! To be honest, i hardly ever read the manual on anything I own... even my car, unless it's broken. What's the fun in that? It's way more fun to figure it out yourself (or hassle other people on message boards ;) Thanks for the help! :)