Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
Just got a new 17" PB (It's wonderful!), but this is my 1st Mac in over 10 years. (Still have my LCII). I can't seem to get Expose to work. If I press F9 or F10, I get a shadow error window of some kind with the symbol that's on those keys, with a circle/slash and nothing happens. If I hit F11, the windows clear to the desktop like they're supposed to, but the 9 and 10 keys don't do anything. What am I doing wrong?

Macpoops

macrumors 6502
Jan 15, 2002
PA
you sure your running panther? And didn't but a pre-panter release PB 17 from a brick and mortar store

alphaq619

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2003
Bay Area
By default on the 15" and 17" PowerBook, F9, F10, F11 are reserved for controlling the backlighting on the keyboard. To activate Expose, you have to push function (fn) + F9, etc. You can change which buttons activate Expose in the System Preferences.

Stevp1

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 8, 2003
got it, thanks Alpha.

It's definetly Panther. Latest and Greatest. The Fn button is what I was missing. Thanks!

FlamDrag

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2003
Western Hemisphere
I don't have mine in front of me right now, but I'm pretty sure that you can set the "fn" on/off option in the control panel without downloading anything else.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.