Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by jer446, Nov 9, 2006.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

Dec 28, 2004
    I have had a mac for about a year and a half now, and love everything about it. Everyone on the boards always talks about expose. I never really use it. Can anyone explain to me what they use it for and when they use it, and all the features of it. I don't think i am getting the most out of my amazing os.
  2. Benjamin macrumors 6502a

Oct 27, 2003
    Portland, OR
    Well I'm on a Powerbook with limited screen space and normally I like to have Safari, iChat, Photoshop, iTunes, Textmate and a few other applications open for various projects, school work and so on. I use expose to switch from app to app via the open windows. however I have a Logitech mouse that I have set to activate Expose instead of the keyboard equivalents.
  3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    I use it all the time on my iBook. At first I thought I'd mainly use the F9 function to show all open windows, but I'm finding myself using F11 more and more. It's a really good/quick way to clear the screen and see the Desktop. :cool:
  4. Cybix macrumors 6502a

Feb 10, 2006
    Western Australia
    I've set one of the corners of my screen to be a 'hot corner' for expose.. makes it really easy to quickly switch to a different app :)
  5. terriyaki macrumors 6502a

Aug 4, 2005
    I have a 12" iBook and don't like the hassle of minimizing and hiding apps. I pretty much just leave all of my windows and programs open and access them via Expose.

The really useful thing I love about it is that I can use hot corners along with the F keys to flip through windows and applications.
  6. dukebound85 macrumors P6

Jul 17, 2005
    5045 feet above sea level

that doesnt seem quick lol. i currently have mine set as the scroll button!
  7. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

Aug 8, 2006
    ive got it on my middle (scroll) mouse button, and i REALLY COULDNT live without it, when i use a pc i feel like a limb has been cut off, esp with multiple browser windows open, plus msn, man i love the expose, also good for dragging and dropping internet conent (pics / text) on to the desktop using f11, (click, drag, f11, drop, f11)
  8. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Used constantly. It was second nature right from the start, for me. I have Hot corners set: UR is "all windows", LR is "show desktop", LL is "app windows".
  9. ozontheroad macrumors 6502

Aug 4, 2006
    the reef
    expose is one of the features i use the most.

i haven't minimized a window since the Panther days.

I use it with hot corners and when using a PC i find myself constantly throwing the pointer to the corners :)

Its one of the features I would find it hard to live without after 3 years of constant use.
  10. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I set up the hot corners this morning.
    I already use it a lot!

It's much better than remembering to push buttons
  11. rsegovia macrumors newbie

Nov 16, 2006
    I just got an iMac, and the Expose seems to be out-of-whack. It works great when I push F9 or use the screen corners, but it also displays all the windows at random times such as when I click on an inactive window or put my mouse over a link -- not every time, but enough to be annoying. Does anyone know what causes this or how to fix it? There's nothing on this subject in mac help.
  12. gr8tfly macrumors 603

Oct 29, 2006
    ~119W 34N
    Just a thought: Check the settings of your side buttons. System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Mouse.

When I got my first MM, I believe they were programmed for Exposé. Sometimes, depending on how I was holding the MM, I'd accidentally active them. The new WMM seems less sensitive, but I have the sides programmed for app switcher, now.
  13. MacRumoron macrumors 6502

Sep 6, 2005
    i set the top right corner to show desktop and the bottom right corner to show all windows.. i don't use the application windows one
  14. mrkramer macrumors 603

Jul 11, 2006
    I use Expose to switch between apps, and also to see the desktop. I can't stand not having it when I have to use Windows at school.
  15. krestfallen macrumors member

Oct 27, 2005
    i use it all the time when i'm busy and i don't know anymore what window belongs to what. this happens quite often when i'm in heavy work on my powerbook ;)

expose is the awesome. what am i saying, we all know about it :)

i have configured all 3 expose functions to F11 (option+crtl+F11 for showing the desktop, option+F11 for showing application windows, F11 for showing all windows)
  16. Belly-laughs macrumors 6502a

Jun 8, 2003
    you wish
    Being able to drag elements from one app to another using Exposé makes work so much easier. I use hot corners for Exposé, scroll wheel for Dashboard.
  17. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

May 14, 2006
    Roskilde, DK
    I use the application windows shortcut more and more. However I do look forward to the Spaces feature of Leopard. Simple and useless says some, I think it's gonna seeing as I have a billion apps open and usually only wish to access what I am currently working on.
  18. ricksbrain macrumors regular

Aug 31, 2005
    Miami, FL
    For me, the best setup uses a third button on my mounse to activate it. hand never has to leave its original location. Love it.