Express 34

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by poppe, May 22, 2006.

1. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I'm looking for some Express 34 cards. I just want to know whats out there and what are the possibilities I can do or soon will be able to do with them. Is there any websites that are selling them. I most likely won't need extra USB ports or card readers. Is there much more those cards can do?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Patience, Grasshopper.

Apple is, as they were with the 3.5" floppy, SCSI, dropping floppies, dropping serial and parallel and adopting USB, and making Firewire standard -- out ahead of the curve of the rest of the industry. Third party card manufacturers are developing products, but we wont see the big surge of new products until the Win-centric manufacturers show some uptake of the format.

Express/34 will be (eventually) used for those things which take too much bandwidth for USB2.0

First and foremost, SATA External storage
    Additional Firewire & or USB 2.0 busses

Then coming later
    Digital audio input & output
    Extra Video card for that third and fourth monitor

3. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

So with external HDD will they run at the speeds of what an internal HDD run at. I mean transfer information? or do they transfer information with Firewire and USB equivelant to internals?

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

An Express/34 SATA interface will transfer data at the lower of the speed of SATA/150 and the speed of the Express/34 buss, which I don't have off the top of my head but it is faster than FW400 and USB 2.0. Express/34 is a derivative of the PCI-e buss, but I don't know what it's limit is. Google?

The regular suspects sshould have Express/34 cards forthcoming - Sonnet, Firmtek, LaCie, Miglia, maybe Siig or Adaptec I haven't heard.

5. poppe thread starter macrumors 68020

poppe

Oh very interesting. What about FW800? is it faster than that? I'd google all this but hell if I know what I'm looking for or what i'd even be reading.

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM